Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
How to spell in English?

gnomey

Post Wed, Apr 04 2018, 3:12 pm
I'm interested in the name מִילִי -- (from the famous quote). How do you think it looks best in English? Mili / Millie / Milly (or other spelling?). Somehow Mili looks the most "Jewish" to me, and the others look more like they are short for an Anglo name like Millicent or Emily? But I can't really pinpoint why.

For some background, this would be for an American girl. It doesn't matter to me if it's pronounced Mee Lee or Mill ee, I assume in the US it would be pronounced "Mill ee" and in Israel it would be said "Mee Lee."

Any other thoughts about this name?

EmpireState

Post Wed, Apr 04 2018, 3:15 pm
Very cute name! I would go with Milly.
When it's spelled Millie, it seems a bit old fashioned.

fiji

Post Wed, Apr 04 2018, 3:15 pm
Which famous quote are u referring to?

gnomey

Post Wed, Apr 04 2018, 3:19 pm
fiji wrote:
Which famous quote are u referring to?

Oh sorry I meant to say -- Rabbi Hillel's quote "If I am not for myself, who is for me?" Not sure if that's the exact translation, the Hebrew is: אם אין אני לי מי לי

BetsyTacy

Post Wed, Apr 04 2018, 3:41 pm
What an interesting name. I have never heard of it used before. Is there a particular country of origin that uses those words as a name? I have heard of Nili, for netazch yisrael lo yishaker,but never Mi Li.

chicco

Post Wed, Apr 04 2018, 3:51 pm
I would be hesitant to name a child something that means, who am I? Sounds like a set up for a questionable identity. A name is supposed to be the exact opposite. I think it's a nice phrase for inspiration, but using half of it seems irresponsible.

That being said, obviously do what you feel comfortable with. I just felt the need to point this out.

Bshaa tova, and for what it is worth, I like Millie.

gnomey

Post Wed, Apr 04 2018, 3:53 pm
I know an Israeli girl with the name, but I've only seen it written in Hebrew. I'm not sure where it started as a name (does anyone know?) but it's in the Hebrew name book I've been reading and the meaning really charmed me.

gnomey

Post Wed, Apr 04 2018, 3:55 pm
chicco wrote:
I would be hesitant to name a child something that means, who am I?

I would be too if that was the meaning, but it's my understanding that it means "who is for me," and not "who am I." I am not a scholar though so I could be wrong or misunderstanding Hillel's words.

losingweight

Post Wed, Apr 04 2018, 3:59 pm
Interesting name. You technically want to take two words and make it into a name. Are you sure the child will be happy when she's an adult with her name? Especially if the definition is "who am I"?

gnomey

Post Wed, Apr 04 2018, 4:04 pm
Thank you for your feedback, for the record I did not invent the name! It is an already existing girls name. And I replied to another commenter above about the meaning--I believe the translation is "who is for me," not "who am I." To me, the meaning is very lovely but it's good to hear other opinions because I am not the one who would have to bear the name.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Wed, Apr 04 2018, 4:04 pm
Mi Ani would be who am I; Mi Li means who is for me.

Either way: I would not give a question as a name.

gnomey

Post Wed, Apr 04 2018, 4:10 pm
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
Mi Ani would be who am I; Mi Li means who is for me.

Either way: I would not give a question as a name.

Thank you for your input and for clarifying the translation, that is what I thought it meant too.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Wed, Apr 04 2018, 4:18 pm
gnomey wrote:
Thank you for your input and for clarifying the translation, that is what I thought it meant too.

Well, I don't want to be a wet blanket on the name choice. The truth is, you can still give her the name Mili and just not say that it's from Mi Li. Who would know, especially since Milly is a real name?

Or even better: I am thinking that maybe you could do something based off Moshe's declaration in the wilderness: מי לי-ה-ו-ה אלי
Whoever is with Hashem, come to me. The first four letters are mem-yod-lamed-yod, so you get Mili just the same. But the meaning is more positive and declarative: Someone who is for Hashem.

gnomey

Post Wed, Apr 04 2018, 4:25 pm
WOW that is such a beautiful idea! I got goosebumps and a little teary reading that. Thank you, and I never thought you were being a wet blanket. I wanted feedback on the name and I really appreciate all the comments.

abaker

Post Wed, Apr 04 2018, 4:56 pm
I like the spelling Millie.

saralem

Post Wed, Apr 04 2018, 7:31 pm
I prefer Mili. The other spellings seem old-fashioned and like somebody’s bubbie. Sorry. It’s a very modern name so it deserves a modern spelling.

heartinzion

Post Wed, Apr 04 2018, 8:09 pm
I know a Mili. The name is adorable although I don't know the origin or meaning.
I agree with amother who said it needs a modern spelling. Mili is the modern spelling. The others more old fashioned.

Kiwi13

Post Wed, Apr 04 2018, 9:46 pm
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
Well, I don't want to be a wet blanket on the name choice. The truth is, you can still give her the name Mili and just not say that it's from Mi Li. Who would know, especially since Milly is a real name?

Or even better: I am thinking that maybe you could do something based off Moshe's declaration in the wilderness: מי לי-ה-ו-ה אלי
Whoever is with Hashem, come to me. The first four letters are mem-yod-lamed-yod, so you get Mili just the same. But the meaning is more positive and declarative: Someone who is for Hashem.

Ooh this is beautiful!

Of your spelling ideas I like Mili best. Milly and Millie are fine too. Other creative “modern” options might be:

Milley (after all, Miley is ultra popular)
Milee/Millee (kind of like the updated forms of Ashlee and Aubree)

I personally prefer traditional spellings. I consider them “established,” not “old fashioned.”

Bshaa Tova!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names