Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
What age to start using toothpaste?

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Apr 03 2018, 7:22 am
What age did you start brushing your kids' teeth with toothpaste?

singleagain

Post Tue, Apr 03 2018, 7:49 am
I don't have kids. But I babysat for a couple who were both in dentistry school. The kid was two and half and he had a special toothpaste that was not harmful if swallowed. If I remember (over ten years ago) they were teaching him to spit. But this way if he forgot no harm.

lucky14

Post Tue, Apr 03 2018, 11:41 pm
singleagain wrote:
I don't have kids. But I babysat for a couple who were both in dentistry school. The kid was two and half and he had a special toothpaste that was not harmful if swallowed. If I remember (over ten years ago) they were teaching him to spit. But this way if he forgot no harm.

They're now suggesting to start fluoride toothpaste much earlier. just to put a TINY TINY bit on the toothpaste since young children will swallow it instead of spitting it out.

freshair

Post Wed, Apr 04 2018, 1:26 am
I was told by my dentist that since there isn't any fluoride in today's water like there has been, they ask that kids start with a bit of regular kids fluoride toothpaste. My 13 month old already had her first dentist visit and we brush her teeth every night with kids regular toothpaste as directed by her dentist.

lucky14

Post Wed, Apr 04 2018, 10:42 pm
freshair wrote:
I was told by my dentist that since there isn't any fluoride in today's water like there has been, they ask that kids start with a bit of regular kids fluoride toothpaste. My 13 month old already had her first dentist visit and we brush her teeth every night with kids regular toothpaste as directed by her dentist.

That depends on where you live. I live in the U.S. and the state I live in adds fluoride to the water.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics