Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Urgent ! Stop a check

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Apr 08 2018, 12:40 pm
I lost a check from work and my boss is currently out of the country and can't reach him.
Is there anything I can do to stop it?
It's made out to me if that help.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Apr 08 2018, 12:51 pm
If it’s deposited it will clearly be fraud. Don’t fret. Wait until boss comes back. He can deal with it then.

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Apr 08 2018, 1:14 pm
Easier said than done. It's a lot of money for me. Need it for food now

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Apr 08 2018, 1:15 pm
amother wrote:
Easier said than done. It's a lot of money for me. Need it for food now

So that’s another matter entirely.
You don’t need a check stopped - you need a check replaced by a person who is out of town.

Is he checking email?

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Apr 08 2018, 1:35 pm
The check that's lost need to be stopped first, so I can ask him later for a replacement

ra_mom

Post Sun, Apr 08 2018, 1:36 pm
amother wrote:
The check that's lost need to be stopped first, so I can ask him later for a replacement

Only he, or another individual with access to the account, can stop it.
I'm really sorry about your predicament. Sad Put money into tzedakah and say Amar Rav Binyamin.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Apr 08 2018, 2:01 pm
amother wrote:

That’s not rational. If you need the money now email him and let him know your predicament. If he is telling you that he won’t replace the check (or wire you money) until he orders a stop payment he’s not a nice person.

You should email regardless to tell him about the missing check.

vicki

Post Sun, Apr 08 2018, 2:50 pm
amother wrote:
That’s not rational. If you need the money now email him and let him know your predicament. If he is telling you that he won’t replace the check (or wire you money) until he orders a stop payment he’s not a nice person.

You should email regardless to tell him about the missing check.

Assuring that there are not two live checks floating around does not make him not a nice person. It makes him wise.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Apr 08 2018, 2:55 pm
vicki wrote:
Assuring that there are not two live checks floating around does not make him not a nice person. It makes him wise.

If he trusts his employee, as he should, this isn’t a big deal. At the same moment he etransfers her money, he sends an email to his banker to request stop payment. In the meantime if the other check had already been deposited, it’s a fraud and he has reported the missing check.

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Apr 08 2018, 3:11 pm
vicki wrote:

I actually agree. Even though he trusts me, there is another check that somehow disappeared. He doesn't need to pay twice - it was in a zippered pocket in my dress (not coat) and I suddenly on the way to bank saw it open, it's still a mystery to me

octopus

Post Sun, Apr 08 2018, 3:50 pm
It costs money to stop a check.

BetsyTacy

Post Sun, Apr 08 2018, 4:15 pm
Are you willing to reimburse him for the cost of the stop payment (often around $30)?
If so, then it should not be too much to ask him to do: first stop the check and then issue you a new one so you can go to the grocery store.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Apr 08 2018, 4:23 pm
amother wrote:
I actually agree. Even though he trusts me, there is another check that somehow disappeared. He doesn't need to pay twice - it was in a zippered pocket in my dress (not coat) and I suddenly on the way to bank saw it open, it's still a mystery to me

So are you assuming it was stolen?

The reason this isn’t the big deal you think it is, is because the grand majority of people who would find a check issued to someone else would not attempt to cash it, being that it is a traceable fraud (unlike say finding a pile of money on the ground).

I’m still not following you here.

Do you think that if you can’t get this check stopped, and it does get cashed that your boss will tell you ‘sorry mrs. I’m not going to give you another?’.

In any event - all you need to do is email boss, tell him what happened, how urgently you need the money and see how he handles it. I get that you are trying to ‘fix this’, but you can’t. The best thing is to send an honest email to your boss.

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Apr 08 2018, 4:36 pm
amother wrote:
So are you assuming it was stolen?

The reason this isn’t the big deal you think it is, is because the grand majority of people who would find a check issued to someone else would not attempt to cash it, being that it is a traceable fraud (unlike say finding a pile of money on the ground).

I’m still not following you here.

Do you think that if you can’t get this check stopped, and it does get cashed that your boss will tell you ‘sorry mrs. I’m not going to give you another?’.

In any event - all you need to do is email boss, tell him what happened, how urgently you need the money and see how he handles it. I get that you are trying to ‘fix this’, but you can’t. The best thing is to send an honest email to your boss.

Regrettably, we had experience with this. The Brooklyn police and Chase bank did not have any interest in tracking a business check stolen from DH.

Evidently, checks are to be kept under locks.

There is a different standard for business checks and personal.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Apr 08 2018, 4:42 pm
amother wrote:
Regrettably, we had experience with this. The Brooklyn police and Chase bank did not have any interest in tracking a business check stolen from DH.

Evidently, checks are to be kept under locks.

There is a different standard for business checks and personal.

Was a blank check stolen from him? Or someone stole a check that was issued to him?

I guess I’m not convinced there was theft in OPs narrative, but if the was she should be reporting it, even if there is no action. It’s the right thing for an employee to do.

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Apr 09 2018, 7:22 am
I texted him as soon as I arrived home and realized it's not in my pocket.

As he's out of country I don't know when he'll see it, so I thought maybe there's a different way to stop it meanwhile.

I told him right away, I'll be the one payibg the stop fee, it's was in my possession at the time.

He's coming back tomorrow iyh, so hopefully I'll get a new one
Thanks for all the support

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Apr 09 2018, 7:57 am
amother wrote:
I texted him as soon as I arrived home and realized it's not in my pocket.

As he's out of country I don't know when he'll see it, so I thought maybe there's a different way to stop it meanwhile.

I told him right away, I'll be the one payibg the stop fee, it's was in my possession at the time.

He's coming back tomorrow iyh, so hopefully I'll get a new one
Thanks for all the support

:-)

If you do think it’s stolen, you could report it. Police won’t act on it - but there is a record.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics