Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Salads & Dips
Low fat/fat free yummy salad dressing

israel22

Post Tue, Jun 21 2011, 11:21 am
I am attempting a diet and I am not a big salad eater BUT if it has like a yummy dressing and other stuff it's easier to eat any suggestions?
thanks in advance

de_goldy

Post Tue, Jun 21 2011, 11:23 am
balsamic vinegar
fresh lemon juice
a little olive oil
salt
garlic
(can put pepper but I don't like it)

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jun 21 2011, 12:00 pm
You don't need an actual dressing.
Just season your salad perfectly, to taste. Use lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper. A tiny squirt of Dijon mustard (fat free), optional.
Or a touch of apple cider vinegar, red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar, etc. instead of the lemon juice.

israel22

Post Tue, Jun 21 2011, 12:28 pm
since I am in israel I can't get all these vinegars I get regualar and sometimes redwine

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jun 21 2011, 12:34 pm
israel22 wrote:
since I am in israel I can't get all these vinegars I get regualar and sometimes redwine
I love lemon juice best.
Since you're not using oil, it's best to place salad in a food plastic bag, dress, pinch closed, and shake until very well combined.
Yum. I want some now.

Last edited by ra_mom on Tue, Apr 10 2018, 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

greeneyes

Post Tue, Jun 21 2011, 11:12 pm
I try to make my salads interesting by using a variety of vegetables. It is more fun to eat when there are different colors and textures.

Include any of the following (the more variety the better!):

romaine lettuce
grape tomatoes
sliced or julienned carrots
sliced fresh mushrooms or cubes of roasted portobella mushrooms
black or green olives
pickles
scallions
sugar snap peas
baby corn
hearts of palm
different colored peppers
persian cucumbers
sliced red onion
sliced red cabbage

ruth

Post Mon, Dec 23 2013, 4:00 am
my dd got miso with a heksher in machene yehuda. you can make a dressing out of: miso, rice vinegar (or alternative), garlic, ginger if you can get it, a little tehina (don't freak about using tehina, some quality oil from seeds or avocado is good in moderation, a friend's doctor recommended this when she reached a weight loss plateau.)

southernima

Post Mon, Dec 23 2013, 4:25 am
israel22 wrote:

FYI they sell balsamic and apple cider vinegar in Israel just about everywhere (at least in my neighborhood).

I sometimes blend a tomato with spices and use that as my dressing. Or I will blend up a peach (or frozen peach) with some cherry tomatoes - add salt/pepper/garlic powder/onion powder/paprika.

Or I make yogurt dressings (like yogurt dill dressing) with a cucumber blended in. Or if you like pesto - basil and some pine nuts (there is fat in the pine nuts, but you need some healthy fats in your diet or you crave the bad fats).

Grandma 1

Post Mon, Dec 23 2013, 10:28 am
Not OP, but please, can some of you who have listed low fat/fat free ideas, please be more specific about recipes, and amounts, if you can? Thanks very much! Smile

mandksima

Post Mon, Dec 23 2013, 11:55 am
Previous posters are right - healthy fats are a very important part of any diet, it is not healthy to omit them. Nuts, avocado, olive oil or avocado oil drizzled on salad make them more satisfying and tasty as well as filling. Skip the fried foods, mayo, refined seed oils and dairy fats and try not to skip the healthy fats.

Lizajen

Post Tue, Apr 10 2018, 10:53 am
Could you please give measurements? I'd love a balsamic vinegerrette. Thanx.

Teomima

Post Tue, Apr 10 2018, 11:01 am
My favorite is simply lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper. Grate some salty cheese into the salad (feta or bulgarit) and it basically disintegrates and helps coat the salad. Another one I love is to mix good mustard and some honey.

For the record, all those vinegars ARE available here in Israel.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics