Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Kohein get treatment in Dental School?

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Apr 10 2018, 2:41 pm
I know I need to ask my LOR, but out of curiosity does anyone know if a kohein is allowed to get treatment in a dental school? Specifically my son needs braces and to do it at a local (excellent) dental school would be half the price if not less. We're talking about thousands of dollars in savings! But, he mentioned it may be an issue being that he's a kohein and dental students also dissect etc so there are bound to be cadavers in the same building. (Yes, we are generally makbid on tumas meis even for non-Jewish bodies.)

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Apr 10 2018, 2:56 pm
Fascinating question, please let us know what your rabbi says!

Can you call the school and ask if there are any cadavers in that particular building?

If the school is unfamiliar with Jewish concerns, you can always tell them that you are superstitious our sensitive, something like that.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Apr 10 2018, 4:09 pm
Ask about non-Jewish bodies. I believe the halacha is that they do not have tumah. So your son could servein the beis hamikdash after even touching one.
It may be minhag situs to be makpid on a chimera of something we only do as a zecher.

goodmorning

Post Tue, Apr 10 2018, 4:48 pm
Iymnok wrote:
Ask about non-Jewish bodies. I believe the halacha is that they do not have tumah. So your son could servein the beis hamikdash after even touching one.
It may be minhag situs to be makpid on a chimera of something we only do as a zecher.

The halacha is that touching a non-Jewish corpse is definitely assur; it is a machlokes (Tannaim all the way through Rishonim) whether tumas ohel is also prohibited -- I.e., being under the same roof as a non-Jewish corpse but not touching it. The psak of the Shulchan Aruch and Rema is that it is correct to be machmir.

(It is halachically prohibited for kohanim to become tamei lameis today, even if they have already become tamei lameis. It is not jsut a "zecher" -- it is assur for kohanim to add new levels of tumah.)

All of this is not to say that OP shouldn't ask a rav, but probably should first find out the metzius.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions