Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Is this a normal behavior for a 10 year old

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Apr 09 2018, 11:36 pm
My son told me so randomly that he tide his hands together tight that he should know how it feels. I told him he shouldn't do it he asked me why. He then mentioned that he also did it with his feet and he said it with a smile. Is this normal and it will just pass? And what should I tell him?

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Apr 10 2018, 9:06 am
Bump.
I wanna know if his behavior make sense or I need to get my son help/ evaluate it?

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Apr 10 2018, 9:25 am
Boys that age are exploring. Are into playing cops and robbers etc. My boys have tied their hands more than once as a form of play for "handcuffs".
Any tying around a neck would be very concerning to me , but not a boy at age 10 with hands and feet.
You can tell him it makes you feel uncomfortable that you don't want him to hurt himself etc.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Apr 10 2018, 9:26 am
Dunno. Did he give you any reason why he wants to know what it feels like? Is there any other concerning behaviors you have seen about him lately?

I would just keep an eye on him. If it's just this, let it go. Kids do all sorts of things.....

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Apr 10 2018, 10:11 am
amother wrote:
Bump.
I wanna know if his behavior make sense or I need to get my son help/ evaluate it?

And I thought I evaluated for everything!!
Not sure what you would even evaluate for?

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Apr 10 2018, 10:13 am
It sounds normal to me! That’s exactly what I would’ve done at that age after reading a spy story or seeing an adventure movie. Some kids have real imagination.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Apr 10 2018, 10:23 am
Simply explain to him how blood flow works. Make it into a science subject, where you discuss the importance of capillaries and veins, and how the blood circulates in the body. If you cut off blood flow for too long, eventually the muscles will die! (I mean, don't scare him, just explain why it's important to let the body do what it is supposed to.)

Most kids love science, especially if there is blood involved. Wink

little neshamala

Post Tue, Apr 10 2018, 11:53 am
I had a huge imagination as a kid (still do). At that age I would totally have done that if I read a book about someone who was tied up and had to escape etc

Now that I recall....I remember being around 12 and tying a scarf around my eyes, to see how hard it is for blind people to navigate...I realized it was a lot harder than I initially thought when I ended the hallway, got disoriented, and fell down the (BH short!)stairs.

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Apr 10 2018, 1:28 pm
Lol. Sounds like my 10-year-old who insisted in sleeping without a pillow or blanket for a few nights to practice in case she goes to jail!

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Apr 10 2018, 3:45 pm
little neshamala wrote:
I had a huge imagination as a kid (still do). At that age I would totally have done that if I read a book about someone who was tied up and had to escape etc

Now that I recall....I remember being around 12 and tying a scarf around my eyes, to see how hard it is for blind people to navigate...I realized it was a lot harder than I initially thought when I ended the hallway, got disoriented, and fell down the (BH short!)stairs.

My son did that too.

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Apr 10 2018, 3:46 pm
Thank you everyone for your replies it did call me a lot. He does have some quirks. Frantic I love your idea I would do that thank you

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Apr 10 2018, 3:48 pm
Normal. Don’t make a big deal so it doesn’t turn into something not normal.

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Apr 10 2018, 5:01 pm
Normal, 10 yr olds are also into magic tricks and maybe he was trying to figure out how to get out of a tied situation, like Houdini.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children