Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Cape Cod Structured Home

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Mar 22 2018, 11:46 pm
We are in the middle of buying a 4 bedroom cape in New Jersey. I swore up and down that I would never buy a cape. I knew that when I finally bought a house, it would be a colonial. Well, here we are, buying a cape. Does anyone here on imamother own a cape cod home? From a heating point of view, is it very difficult to heat the upstairs (I read this somewhere). Also, I noticed that the upstairs has fairly low ceilings. I was told that is normal for a cape. Every cape I have seen has slanted ceilings upstairs. This house has low ceilings instead of the slant.
P.s. My husband is a foot taller than me and the low ceilings don't bother him.

cookies6

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 2:01 pm
I bought a cape cod about 15 years ago. Five years ago we did construction, basically removing the second floor and putting on a new one with attic (essentially changing it to a colonial style).
Yes, it is harder to regulate the temperature on the second floor of a cape. Think about it - there is no attic on top of it so it is essentially acting as the attic with just the roof on top and nothing else in between you and the elements.
Something that we did that helped a lot was to insulate the crawl spaces very well. There was significant improvement after that.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics