Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Making Aliyah, please help narrow down location
Previous  1  2

amother
Black

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 1:14 pm
Har Nof is lovely, but the dati leumi community there is kind of slowly aging or moving out as the years go on and has more grandparents than families with school aged children. I wouldn't recommend it for a new dat leumi oleh family - kids won't have that many local friends. And while the elementary schools (and the girls middle school which is part of the elementary school) are good in general, they don't have any special services for olim. Also, there is no boys middle school there at all. That doesn't mean it is a bad option, but just be aware that it is much less of a hub for dati leumi olim than it used to be and other places would fit your demographic better and have better services for your kids.

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 2:51 pm
Hmmm, some new questions. Sorry to be going in circles but I really have so much to learn!

I spoke to the English HS mentionedand unfortunately I do not think it is going to be a good fit. I know nothing is perfect but there were some deal breakers. School is officially a Modern Orthodox High school. In the US that wouldn't work for us as all the ones near us are mixed boys and girls. The school is boys only which is good BUT the Rabbi made it seem like many of the boys aren't so religious and some not at all. My DS really needs to be surrounded by religious on track boys. Parents of some students didn't sound so religious as well.

Question 2, Are there Dati Lumi people who wear a hat and jacket to daven? Please excuse my ignorance. My husband and big boys do but the Rabbi said no one at the school does. I am freaking out that we really do not fit into any "box" and besides not knowing the language are going to be "lost."

Any new thoughts on areas or schooling for my children?? I am questioning whether or not Aliyah can really work for our family with kids as old as mine..

Also does anyone know if there is an intensive summer camp ulpan for kids or adults?? Maybe we would discover my kids have a "gift" for languages and they would be speaking Ivrit in no time..
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics