Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Kids making own lunches - from what age?

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 2:26 am
My kids need to pack 1 or 2 meals for school, depending on the day. It's a LOT of prep.

Do your kids make their own meals? From what age? What do they make and when do they do it?

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 3:56 am
12 with direction and oversight. Step in when it becomes too much. It shouldn't be their sole responsibility.
But before that they can work with you as you prepare their lunch. There are a lot of elements they can help you with when the two of you are working together. But executive function of doing it themselves can be too much for someone younger.

amother
Black

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 3:57 am
For a while my HS DD was preparing her own food. After a while she stopped. I do it now. Usually its a peanut butter and yougurt or cold cut sandwich and small salad.

I wake up 30 min early to make the kids food. Some need breakfast some need lunch.

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 4:32 am
They dont. Ever.
IME many kids would prefer to sleep rather than make lunch. If you leave it to them, they go to school empty handed.

At least that's what I did in high school. I either went hungry or bought junk from the vending machine.

I made lunch for my kids throughout HS to ensure they actually took food.

Raisin

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 4:39 am
My ten year old has been making her lunch for a year or more already. I make sure to have bread, fillings, snacks available the night before. I do help her if she is running late. I make for the younger kids. At one point I had baskets of snacks in the cupboard so kids could grab and put in lunchbox.

I made lunch for myself from a young age too.

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 6:40 am
Forsure by 10.

mha3484

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 9:04 am
I started in 3rd or 4th grade. My kids have hot lunch available so I do that for my sanity.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 9:24 am
Never in the morning!

DD and I would work together to assemble her lunch the night before. I taught her how to choose healthy foods, prep veggies, etc.

We also layed out clothing the night before, book bag right by the front door, and things like that. No last minute scrambling and missing the bus. Bliss!

devash1

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 9:28 am
I don't know why but I really hated making my kids lunches. Probably because they were never happy with what I sent them with. It is only recently with my younger kids from second grade up that they make their own lunches. I'm not a morning person and this makes me so much nicer in the morning when I don't have the pressure of making lunches. My kids are usually come grocery shopping with me and that way they can make sure that they have food that they like.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 9:33 am
devash1 wrote:
Probably because they were never happy with what I sent them with. ..My kids are usually come grocery shopping with me and that way they can make sure that they have food that they like.

I have literally stood in the grocery aisle and CRIED to DD, "Please tell me what you will eat!" I was so frustrated, I had no shame left. She'll want something, and in the time it takes to get home, she'll decide "I'm not into that anymore". Banging head

These days, she'll usually have a granola bar for lunch, come home starving, and eat everything in the house. I just make sure I have food ready when she comes in the door.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 11:39 am
amother wrote:
They dont. Ever.
IME many kids would prefer to sleep rather than make lunch. If you leave it to them, they go to school empty handed.

At least that's what I did in high school. I either went hungry or bought junk from the vending machine.

I made lunch for my kids throughout HS to ensure they actually took food.

Are you serious?

Many kids in middle schools do it, some in primary school.

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 11:45 am
amother wrote:
Are you serious?

Many kids in middle schools do it, some in primary school.

I am serious. I didnt say that kids cant or dont make their own lunches, just that many wont.

tichellady

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 11:50 am
I didn’t make my own lunch while living at home. I had tons of homework and a very long day and was exhausted at night. I did help cook for shabbos on fridays and babysat and other things that were helpful for my parents. My mom would make me a lunch as long as I told Her what I wanted ( as in pack leftovers or a yogurt etc not make a new meal for me). This is what worked for us. Do what works for you.

When my husband and I were both working I made lunches for us because I had more time and energy at the end of the day.

lakewooder

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 12:02 pm
My kids have hot lunch in school, but still need snacks. My 7 year old and up pack their own snacks.

Even when they did not participate in hot lunch - kids put together their own snacks and I would help with the actual lunch.

I try to always have it done the night before - much less stress.

1Life2Live

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 1:09 pm
My kids make their own lunches (with oversight) - ages 8, 7, 5. They started doing this from the time my oldest was 5. Life changing. We make sure everything is packed the night before.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics