Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
How to tell if diamonds or stones are real

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Apr 10 2018, 5:55 pm
I have a ring that is full of diamonds anand colored stones. Yet some have holes in the back and some don't. I was once told that real diamonds and stones will have holes in the back of the setting. Is it true? How can I be sure that my ring is real?

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Apr 10 2018, 6:35 pm
amother wrote:
I have a ring that is full of diamonds anand colored stones. Yet some have holes in the back and some don't. I was once told that real diamonds and stones will have holes in the back of the setting. Is it true? How can I be sure that my ring is real?

Take it in to be examined by a jeweler with a diamond loupe.

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Apr 10 2018, 6:38 pm
amother wrote:
Take it in to be examined by a jeweler with a diamond loupe.

Got it for a gift before pesach. Should I take it back to the store it was quite expensive. What does it mean that some stones have holes others dont.

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Apr 10 2018, 6:40 pm
amother wrote:
Got it for a gift before pesach. Should I take it back to the store it was quite expensive. What does it mean that some stones have holes others dont.

Probably that the ones without holes are very small stones and have no need for light to shine through.

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Apr 10 2018, 7:40 pm
amother wrote:
Probably that the ones without holes are very small stones and have no need for light to shine through.

There actually pretty big in size.

watergirl

Post Tue, Apr 10 2018, 7:43 pm
amother wrote:
There actually pretty big in size.

Take it to another jewler for an appraisal, which you should do anyways if it was expensive - which you’ve said it was. Then you’ll know.

shanie5

Post Tue, Apr 10 2018, 7:44 pm
If you can "see thru" a diamond, its not real. Hold it over a newspaper or book. If you can see the color of the printing thru it, its cz.
You can google the question for other ideas for diamonds and other stones.

https://www.google.com/search?.....UTF-8

watergirl

Post Tue, Apr 10 2018, 7:47 pm
I googled your question about holes under diamonds. I still think an appraisal is important. Here’s what I found -
https://www.google.com/amp/s/w...../amp/

https://diamondcuttersintl.com.....athe/

It looks like real and cz have holes, and real and cz dont have holes. Get an appraisal.

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Apr 10 2018, 7:47 pm
shanie5 wrote:
If you can "see thru" a diamond, its not real. Hold it over a newspaper or book. If you can see the color of the printing thru it, its cz.

Its set in a ring. How can I read thru it?

watergirl

Post Tue, Apr 10 2018, 7:48 pm
shanie5 wrote:

People dont seem to want to do their own googling anymore.

watergirl

Post Tue, Apr 10 2018, 7:49 pm
amother wrote:
Its set in a ring. How can I read thru it?

I’m sorry to sound like a broken record. Why are you opposed to having a real jewler look at it and appraise it?

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Apr 10 2018, 7:50 pm
watergirl wrote:
People dont seem to want to do their own googling anymore.

I did google before I posted here, didn't find what I was looking for. Was wondering if anyone on here would know.

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Apr 10 2018, 7:53 pm
watergirl wrote:
I’m sorry to sound like a broken record. Why are you opposed to having a real jewler look at it and appraise it?

I dont know anyone in my area that does that, the one I know is a bus ride away. If anyone on here would know for certain that it needs holes I would confront the jewlery store.

shanie5

Post Tue, Apr 10 2018, 8:01 pm
The link I posted had other ideas to check on your own. A fog test was one. Did you open the link?

watergirl

Post Tue, Apr 10 2018, 8:03 pm
amother wrote:
I dont know anyone in my area that does that, the one I know is a bus ride away. If anyone on here would know for certain that it needs holes I would confront the jewlery store.

One of the links I posted said some do, others dont. And some CZs have holes also. If its expensive then it needs to be insured regardless. Isnt that worth the bus ride to a jewler?

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Apr 10 2018, 8:22 pm
shanie5 wrote:
The link I posted had other ideas to check on your own. A fog test was one. Did you open the link?

I did thank you, however non of them were for mounted diamonds and stones. Think of it this way, a bunch of stones shaped into a big flower.

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Apr 10 2018, 8:25 pm
watergirl wrote:
One of the links I posted said some do, others dont. And some CZs have holes also. If its expensive then it needs to be insured regardless. Isnt that worth the bus ride to a jewler?

For some reason I can't see myself getting to that jewler in the next few months.

happyone

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 1:56 pm
Just walk into any jewelry store. Anyone with experience can tell you.

cnc

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 1:59 pm
A jeweler ( or any person) can not be a thousand percent sure without using the proper equipment to check.

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 2:01 pm
amother wrote:
For some reason I can't see myself getting to that jewler in the next few months.

if you have a ring with a lot of big stones - and there is a chance they are real - then you really do need to get to a jeweler to get it appraised, and get it insured.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics