Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Two interesting things my doctor said today

southernbubby

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 1:03 pm
1) Older doctors hate EMRs because it takes them several hours each evening to keep them up while younger doctors prefer them. So whoever in the other thread said that acceptance of EMRs pertained to the age of the doctor was correct, although my husband says that the residents are notoriously slow about keeping the EMRs up to date.

2) Even more interesting, he has treated about 2 dozen Jews over his years in practice who had come in complaining of fatigue that turned out to be from an anemia caused by a parasite in whitefish that they picked up by eating gefilte fish that was not totally cooked.

enneamom

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 1:13 pm
southernbubby wrote:

2) Even more interesting, he has treated about 2 dozen Jews over his years in practice who had come in complaining of fatigue that turned out to be from an anemia caused by a parasite in whitefish that they picked up by eating gefilte fish that was not totally cooked.

Wow..that's wild. How did he figure out what it was from? (Searching my memory here for incidents of eating undercooked gefilte fish...)

southernbubby

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 1:16 pm
[quote="enneamom"]Wow..that's wild. How did he figure out what it was from? (Searching my memory here for incidents of eating undercooked gefilte fish...)[/quote

You have to boil it really well. The jarred type is totally safe. I guess that the type of anemia that these people had was often caused by parasites.

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 1:33 pm
southernbubby wrote:
1) Older doctors hate EMRs because it takes them several hours each evening to keep them up while younger doctors prefer them. So whoever in the other thread said that acceptance of EMRs pertained to the age of the doctor was correct, although my husband says that the residents are notoriously slow about keeping the EMRs up to date.

Regarding #2, I've heard this more than once.

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 2:26 pm
Number one thing all doctors of any age hate about EMRs/all nurses love about it is that they can no longer give nurses verbal orders. They have to actually log in to the computer- even off site, and actually order what they want. They can’t ask us to order it, blame an order they shouldn’t have made on us, or yell at us because we misread their handwriting on a written order. EMR ordering is da bomb.

shirachadasha

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 4:36 pm
southernbubby wrote:

he has treated about 2 dozen Jews over his years in practice who had come in complaining of fatigue that turned out to be from an anemia caused by a parasite in whitefish that they picked up by eating gefilte fish that was not totally cooked.

Would you consider making this a PSA with a title that relates to fatigue?

southernbubby

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 4:38 pm
shirachadasha wrote:
Would you consider making this a PSA with a title that relates to fatigue?

explain what you want me to do since I am not sure how you want it worded

yogabird

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 4:40 pm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.....iasis

last sentence in last section "epidemiology"

Quote:
The disease is rare in the United States.[citation needed] It was, however, once more common and was referred to as "Jewish housewife's disease" because Jewish housewives preparing the traditional "gefilte fish" frequently tasted the fish before it was cooked.

iammom

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 6:46 pm
Oy this thread is not good for hypochondriacs I dont want to see Help

Bluesky 1

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 6:55 pm
What is emr?

southernbubby

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 7:47 pm
Bluespky 1 wrote:
What is emr?

Electronic Medical records
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics