Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Does your child have a hospital crib or bed? Update!

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Apr 12 2018, 2:45 pm
Trying to do some research as baby is transitioning out of the upper level of a porta-crib. we need to have her at higher level so we can do her trach care and suctioning without breaking backs.
Child is B'H developmentally on track, so am not anticipating needing a hospital bed further down the line when she will be older and for positioning needs.
I was thinking about the hospital crib idea as the height of the crib and the drop down rail are perfect for our needs.
SW thinks though that a hospital bed will rather be covered, but based on the height and the way the rail works I honestly don't think.
She was specifically talking about a model from beds by George.
Thoughts?

pesek zman

Post Thu, Apr 12 2018, 2:49 pm
Heads up, I'm a hospital SW. Hospital cribs are very very hard to get covered by insurance. The criteria is very strict

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Apr 12 2018, 2:53 pm
pesek zman wrote:
Heads up, I'm a hospital SW. Hospital cribs are very very hard to get covered by insurance. The criteria is very strict

I guess that is why SW mentioned the bed...
Hmph. a bed is also a lot larger than a crib. I don't have that much space. as it is we gave away most of our dining room to baby...

Eta. can you tell I'm leaning more towards a crib?!

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Apr 12 2018, 2:58 pm
pesek zman wrote:

hospital cribs are also about 1/4 of the price of hospital beds btw.
Insurance baffles me time and again. my daughter remained an extra 2 weeks in the picu while we were waiting to get approved for home nursing.
then (about 5 months later) of course we got a letter saying those 2 weeks are not covered as it was not medically necessary for her to be in the hospital and she could have been home...

mha3484

Post Thu, Apr 12 2018, 2:59 pm
This has a link to a graco crib that has 3 mattress heights instead of two. http://www.itsbaby.com/what-I-.....crib/

pesek zman

Post Thu, Apr 12 2018, 3:18 pm
amother wrote:
hospital cribs are also about 1/4 of the price of hospital beds btw.
Insurance baffles me time and again. my daughter remained an extra 2 weeks in the picu while we were waiting to get approved for home nursing.
then (about 5 months later) of course we got a letter saying those 2 weeks are not covered as it was not medically necessary for her to be in the hospital and she could have been home...

Yes unfortunately this happens all the time.

pesek zman

Post Thu, Apr 12 2018, 3:19 pm
amother wrote:
I guess that is why SW mentioned the bed...
Hmph. a bed is also a lot larger than a crib. I don't have that much space. as it is we gave away most of our dining room to baby...

Eta. can you tell I'm leaning more towards a crib?!

I hear you.

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Apr 12 2018, 5:24 pm
Op I am having a really hard day, just about everything you can think of is going wrong in my life, or so I thought untill I read your post about needing a hospital crib for your baby. Some of my children have real emotional issues, way more than I feel im capable of handling. But bh everyone is physically healthy. Im so sorry your going through this with your baby but it did refocus me into being grateful for what I do have.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Apr 12 2018, 8:09 pm
Have you contacted Beneinu? They often have hospital items for loan to the frum community.

Other places to look are your area hospitals. Find out where they send thier surplus, and see if they have been upgrading any of their beds recently. You just might luck out and get one that's a few years out of style, for a really good price. It's one of those things where you just have to keep your eyes open, and keep checking back.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Apr 12 2018, 8:42 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Have you contacted Beneinu? They often have hospital items for loan to the frum community.

Other places to look are your area hospitals. Find out where they send thier surplus, and see if they have been upgrading any of their beds recently. You just might luck out and get one that's a few years out of style, for a really good price. It's one of those things where you just have to keep your eyes open, and keep checking back.

If you have a local listserv, put your request out there. Someone who had one might be able to help. Also check Craigslist. They definitely have beds, but I didn't see cribs.

And may your child grow strong and healthy.

Optione

Post Thu, Apr 12 2018, 9:24 pm
I don't know where you're located (unless I missed it in your OP), but try Achiezer in Far Rockaway/5Towns.

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Apr 12 2018, 9:35 pm
Hi op here.
Thank you everyone for your replys and suggestions. We haven't started the process yet, so there is still a very big chance for us to be approved for a bed or hopefully a crib due to her diagnosis.
What I am looking for more though at the moment is to hear pros/cons on having either hospital bed or crib in the home in general and for our type of situation more specifically (the trach care/suctioning etc).
TIA!

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Dec 26 2018, 3:54 am
Update: we got our beautiful mini hospital crib last wk!
The insurance approval process didn't even take that long (once my dr submitted lomn)

Ruchel

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 2:49 am
Bar bed, from start. I don't trust the big ones not to climb on a crib c'v
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics