Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Laundry room in basement vs laundry closet on bedroom floor
Previous  1  2

saralem

Post Thu, Apr 12 2018, 7:55 pm
We moved the laundry from the basement to the main bathroom on the second floor. Love it now!!
Basically , we put a stacked unit in what was the linen closet.

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Apr 12 2018, 8:10 pm
When I bought my house it came with laundry room on the main floor. I had shlep my laundry down and then up. I hated every minute of it. I turned a bedroom into laundry room, the best thing I ever did. And I would do the same as you op. I would even have it in a closet even without any other room.

It's torture having to shlep everything down and then up. Especially erev shabbos and erev yomtov. Have so much work and the laundry ontop of it would kill me.

Sorting takes minutes and you could sort in bedroom, then hang wet in bathroom or even in closets. I have done all of that in an apartment I had no space for anything. And it was ok.

Op I would never want a laundry room in basement.

Even though people do it. I don't see the logic. I live on 2 floors and no way would I do that. Ok I don't use my basement I have a tenant. Neither would I want it near the kitchen like my house came with.

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Apr 12 2018, 8:14 pm
Washing machines don't make a terrible noise. It's something you get used to. And usually kids sleep very deeply and don't hear it. My guess is if it's not too close to your bedroom it won't be a big issue.

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Apr 12 2018, 8:19 pm
Our house originally had w/d in kitchen. I moved them to basement to make more space in kitchen. Fast forward to my last pregnancy when I BH had enough hours of help to have them do all the laundry, if I tell you I did not go down those step ONCE the entire pregnancy I don't believe I would be lying.

Now I'm older (that youngest is married) and I really have trouble with the steps. I splurged on a stackable and re-did a bathroom. But the room next to it became the hanging/ironing room when it's not a guest room, and I can actually do a load myself during the tekufos when we don't have help. (I hang just about everything besides linens and towels.)

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Apr 12 2018, 8:20 pm
joyful mom wrote:
I have a laundry room in the basement and it's not easy always carrying baskets with laundry up & down 2 flights. In the morning rush I'm often running up & down taking stuff from the laundry room that dried overnight.... I also found it more difficult when I was pregnant to deal with the laundry downstairs.

That's me! I'm pregnant and I literally have to ask someone to shlep the hampers down and baskets up and the up and down with swollen feet really hurts and I don't have a choice. I'm forever asking one of my kids to check if a load finished because it hurts to just go down and check myself. Having to wait for my DH or one of my big boys to come home to bring the hamper down really delays things. And if I can't wait , I shlep it myself and it takes a toll on my back. I thought I was the only one that disliked a laundry room downstairs , but I see now that I'm not the only one

losingweight

Post Thu, Apr 12 2018, 10:30 pm
Definitely upstairs. You shouldn't have to carry laundry twice. Upstairs you don't have to carry it at all. If you're young, think pregnancy and the running up and down. You may otherwise not even go down to the basement. You don't wanna run three flights of stairs for every sock.

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Apr 12 2018, 10:54 pm
Op. Thanks everyone for your responses. It looks like I will make the laundry closet upstairs. For now it’s really fine because it’s a 4 bdrm house and I have three little kids so I’ll have an empty bedroom anyway which I will use to store the laundry. I currently live in an an apartment and I really hate how there is no where to sort and fold and store laundry but yea I guess thats better to than running up and down two flights of stairs especially in the morning rush

losingweight

Post Fri, Apr 13 2018, 12:21 am
Seems like a great setup. You can use the empty bedroom to keep an ironing board and drying rack open till you need the space. Even if you need the room for guest it's easy to fold up and put j to the closet.

amother
Honeydew

Post Fri, Apr 13 2018, 1:02 am
amother wrote:
Op. Thanks everyone for your responses. It looks like I will make the laundry closet upstairs. For now it’s really fine because it’s a 4 bdrm house and I have three little kids so I’ll have an empty bedroom anyway which I will use to store the laundry. I currently live in an an apartment and I really hate how there is no where to sort and fold and store laundry but yea I guess thats better to than running up and down two flights of stairs especially in the morning rush

Our of curiosity why are you having kids share if there is another room?

amother
Natural

Post Fri, Apr 13 2018, 3:34 am
as close to the kids' rooms and bedrooms as possible.

I prefer a tiny corner for my washing mashine/dryer (I dont have one) instead of a laundry room in the basement.

I DONT want to spend extra time in th laundry room anyway. the maller the corner the faster ill handle the job, so it doesnt get cluttered, basically I run the mashine daily. folding hapens ion the adjacent bathroom or bedroom. takes minimum time. no running up/down with hampers and bags of clothes. LOVE IT!

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Apr 13 2018, 8:45 am
I see many of you fold on top of the machine.
This means that your machines are side by side.
If this is the case, install a rod on top of the machine to hang laundry.
This is what I did, but it's an apartment.
Originally the washer and dryer were in the kitchen.

I also vote upstairs.

If you are getting a new machine there are all in one machines. Washer and dryer in one. This way you can gain some space for a few shelves to put detergent. Not sure if they work just as good.

I had to go with a ventless dryer since there was no where the vent could go.

amother
Gray

Post Fri, Apr 13 2018, 9:42 am
And I love my big laundry room in basement! Started hanging up all kids' clothes (not socks, underwear, and PJs) so I need all that space for the racks. Don't see it's a huge deal to shlep the laundry down. My kids sort the laundry downstairs as part of their chores and then bring them up in separate baskets for each family member.

Bottom line- if you hang up a lot of stuff, you need a lot of space. If you don't, then I guess a small closet area is preferable.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry