Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
What are your luxuries?
  Previous  1  2  3 9  10  11  Next

honeymoon

Post Fri, Apr 13 2018, 1:43 pm
cleaning help twice a week

going to a bungalow colony for full summer (siblings and most friends stay home or work during summer to supplement the expense... nope. for me its lemonade- under- the- tree- while- kids- in- daycamp kinda summer!)

manis/pedis every so often

splurging on one nice set of matching clothing for my kids each season

overnight getaways or day trips with dh once or twice a year

we don't own a car for the simple reason that parking is a nightmare where I live! so we rent cars as needed.. there's a rental right nearby and whenever we need a car (not daily, I work and dh learns locally) we pick up one and take it right back when done without the parking headache!! best part is we get to drive cars which we wouldnt be able to afford if we leased!! Smile

my piano and guitar!

and my father pays our rent and gives us some petty cash each month... I hope I dont get kicked off imamother for this confession.....

SuperWify

Post Fri, Apr 13 2018, 1:58 pm
honeymoon wrote:
cleaning help twice a week

going to a bungalow colony for full summer (siblings and most friends stay home or work during summer to supplement the expense... nope. for me its lemonade- under- the- tree- while- kids- in- daycamp kinda summer!)

manis/pedis every so often

splurging on one nice set of matching clothing for my kids each season

overnight getaways or day trips with dh once or twice a year

we don't own a car for the simple reason that parking is a nightmare where I live! so we rent cars as needed.. there's a rental right nearby and whenever we need a car (not daily, I work and dh learns locally) we pick up one and take it right back when done without the parking headache!! best part is we get to drive cars which we wouldnt be able to afford if we leased!! Smile

my piano and guitar!

and my father pays our rent and gives us some petty cash each month... I hope I dont get kicked off imamother for this confession.....

Wow so nice! Love the bungalow part!

They didn’t kick me off yet, so don’t worry, your good! 😉

SuperWify

Post Fri, Apr 13 2018, 2:04 pm
After ten pages of luxuries I still don’t think anything written here was really luxurious. Most things are things that make life easier.

I’m thinking a Prada handbag just because, diamonds every yt, pesach hotel, new wig each year.

Well ladies... let’s hear it!

***This thread is non judgmental. Let’s keep it this way.****

Are you embarrassed because there are no anonymous posting? Please start a spinoff!

das

Post Fri, Apr 13 2018, 2:17 pm
Well, Superwify, you asked... I could buy a perfectly nice handbag in TJ Maxx but I prefer one from Coach. At least it's not from Prada!

shoshanim999

Post Fri, Apr 13 2018, 2:52 pm
SuperWify wrote:
After ten pages of luxuries I still don’t think anything written here was really luxurious. Most things are things that make life easier.

I’m thinking a Prada handbag just because, diamonds every yt, pesach hotel, new wig each year.

Are you embarrassed because there are no anonymous posting? Please start a spinoff!

Two reasons why the thread isn't showing real luxury.

1. It became a little bit about "show me how unspoiled you are". One poster considers after not having a couch for 20 years, finally getting a used couch to be a luxury, but the next poster considers getting taps on her shoes a luxury.
2. Especially since this forum doesn't allow annonymous posting, the people vacationing in Spain and Italy are discreet.

Zehava

Post Fri, Apr 13 2018, 3:26 pm
SuperWify wrote:

Well...
Those vacations? They aren’t low scale. Think five star delux suite... first class lay flat bed...
I have no use for a Prada handbag and diamonds don’t speak to me.
I did go a bit higher end with my kids clothes this season which feels luxurious to me. Like designer but not super high end designer.

Last edited by Zehava on Fri, Apr 13 2018, 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

saw50st8

Post Fri, Apr 13 2018, 3:27 pm
SuperWify wrote:

I wouldn't spend money on a handbag or something because it doesn't make me happy.

Traveling does make me happy so I arrange that as often as I can!

Moonlight

Post Fri, Apr 13 2018, 6:48 pm
saw50st8 wrote:
I wouldn't spend money on a handbag or something because it doesn't make me happy.

Traveling does make me happy so I arrange that as often as I can!

Same here. Couldn't care for designer labels - I don't understand the draw - but a vacation. .... that's what I save for.

Chaviv-A

Post Sat, Apr 14 2018, 11:59 pm
the things I consider luxurious I can't afford right now - more cleaning help, vacations, spacious house with lots of closet space. That's why I chose to focus on the stuff I have but can live without. Actually, cleaning help is a necessity for me.

simba

Post Sun, Apr 15 2018, 12:11 am
Fine, I'll confess! I do all my shopping in one store (not the cheapest in town). It is a full service supermarket and I have no time or patience to go down the block to the fish store for cheaper fish and the butcher for meat. I don't look at prices when food shopping. I pay for the convenience.

crust

Post Sun, Apr 15 2018, 12:43 am
simba wrote:
Fine, I'll confess! I do all my shopping in one store (not the cheapest in town). It is a full service supermarket and I have no time or patience to go down the block to the fish store for cheaper fish and the butcher for meat. I don't look at prices when food shopping. I pay for the convenience.

This and I phone order EVERYTHING there.
Food, detergents, school supplies and kitchen gadgets if they have.
I would order dry goods, coats, linen and shoes from them also.

I don't run after garbage bags in a different grocery because they are 20 cents cheaper.

Oh And I never go to sales. I buy things only when I need them and I pay what it costs. Is this considered a luxury also?

Iymnok

Post Sun, Apr 15 2018, 3:53 am
fbmommy wrote:
Honestly, a lot of these responses aren't luxuries. I think anything that is used all the time or part of a routine wouldn't be a luxury. Otherwise, I would be saying my disposable diapers are a luxury. I think it really means what would you save up for and splurge on once in a very long while-so my luxury would be my Kate Spade pocketbook or designer shoes/clothes that I buy once in a while. Also, succos in Eretz Yisroel with our family (did it 3x).

I did cloth prefold diapers until my third kid was 1. It was to save money.
Then I switched to disposable diapers. Two years later we got our first dryer.

A luxury for me would be a vacation in a house with a private pool (so we could swim as a family, not separated by gender) and all the food arranged and prepared by someone else. And a large enough car with all the correct car seats to go to local attractions.
And a babysitter for the evenings so Dh and I could have some time together.

Woman of Valor

Post Sun, Apr 15 2018, 3:13 pm
Treats from the grocery, takeout food, trips to the bakery Smile
one dishwasher
china and real silver utensils for Shabbos (not how I grew up)

Studious

Post Sun, Apr 15 2018, 3:46 pm
My subscription to the New York Review of Books seems like a luxury here in Israel where I pay twice as much as an American. So are family vacations abroad. We just did our first one last year and am pondering one perhaps for this year. Take me to a mountain!! I love the planning phase almost as much as the actual traveling...

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sun, Apr 15 2018, 5:10 pm
WindowMagic wrote:
Treats from the grocery, takeout food, trips to the bakery Smile
one dishwasher
china and real silver utensils for Shabbos (not how I grew up)

For me, china is a must must total necessity (as I hate disposables). Sterling silver is definitely a luxury (didn't grow up with it) but also an investment.

Frumwithallergies

Post Sun, Apr 15 2018, 6:31 pm
My main luxury is finding time to be on Imamother:)

Here goes:

5 years ago we did a family vacation in Tuscany (not such a vacation for me since I had to kasher a kitchen and shlep pots and food etc around) but we visited fabulous museums, Rome, Florence, etc. found kosher vineyards and drank wine on our terrace as the sun set. It was five years before my father passed away (A'H) and he helped pay for the vacation for us and our children. He came along too, and memories are priceless even though the pictures were deleted by my 5 yo at the time......

Also, I have a sort of 'personal shopper ' ---- I don't pay her since she's a personal friend. However, since I work insane hours, she looks out for clothes I might like/would work for me, and I try them at home. I used to do made-to measure clothes instead, but the hours didn't work for me....

We have been saving a little every month for the last four years, and IYH will go to Europe again soon.

Sunny Days

Post Sun, Apr 15 2018, 6:58 pm
disposables!

Last edited by Sunny Days on Sun, Jun 10 2018, 12:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

livinginflatbus

Post Sun, Apr 15 2018, 7:34 pm
I guess I take for granted the little things like buying a danish or lunch once in a while , but really I would save a lot of money if I reduced my trips to the bakery, bagel store etc. I guess a luxury for me is going abroad on vacation since I’ve never done that , but can’t see that happening in the foreseeable future .

rachaelle

Post Sun, Apr 15 2018, 7:48 pm
My luxuries are:
a yearly vacation (usually in the summer)
Occasional nights away with DH
Car lease
New clothes and shoes
Going out to eat

happy97

Post Mon, Apr 16 2018, 8:21 pm
My luxuries,
Vacation twice a year
Pesach hotel (not every year)
Wig from my parents for my birthday
Buying books
Love shopping