Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Which part of the Seder do you make sure to do by Chatzos?

Which part of the Seder do you make sure to finish by Chatzos?
Mah Nishtanah :)  
 3%  [ 5 ]
Motzi Matzah  
 10%  [ 15 ]
Afikomen  
 70%  [ 105 ]
Hallel  
 4%  [ 6 ]
Sleeping  
 12%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 149

doctorima

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 9:39 pm
In our circles, our goal is usually to finish the afikomen by Chatzos, and B"H we've always been successful in doing so.

I've heard of others who are only makpid to get up to Motzi Matzah by that point, while some try to finish Hallel to get in all 4 kosos before Chatzos, and there are plenty who are content to go along with no time pressure and finish whenever they finish.

Then there are our neighbors who don't understand why we have to rush Shulchan Orech to get to the afikomen in time ... because they're done with Chad Gadya and fast asleep by 10:30!

So where does your family fit in, and what do you do if you're at your parents or DH's parents who have different customs about this?

honeymoon

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 9:49 pm
Father is makpid to eat afikomen by chatzos both nights and part of the fun memories I have from the seder as a child, is helping my mom and sisters prepare and serve the food for the men in record time (think under 15 mins!) then sit down to eat a leisurely meal while the men were chomping down their matzah. Very Happy
father in law is only makpid first night so then its rush rush but on night #2 they do a regular shulchan orech when we actually get to enjoy our food!
We didn't do our own seder yet but will probably do like dh parents. at least I'll get to feel like I actually cooked for a reason!

Maya

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 9:49 pm
My parents try to get in Motzi Matzah by chatzos, which translates into a Seder that goes on until 4:00 in the morning, and that's why we don't spend that time with them anymore Smile

At home we're usually just about done by chatzos

animeme

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 9:58 pm
Afikomen by chatzos. We usually finish around 2:00. We don't scarf the meal down because dh paces the later parts of maggid based on what time it is. But realistically, by the time we've gone through full shiurim of matzah, marror and korech, plus the family minhag of the egg with salt water, we're not eating much. Shulchan orech doesn't take much more than 15 or 20 minutes, maybe a bit more if the afikomen is still being looked for.

busymother

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 10:10 pm
If I’m not in bed by 10pm I turn into a pumpkin. That’s why we started making our own seders. Most of us have adhd, so my husband runs a really fun and interactive Seder and we were done by 11. No idea what we’ll do when our kids get married. Probably send them to the in laws for the first days!!

amother
Mint

Post Fri, Apr 13 2018, 3:03 am
Growing up, we did the "finish by 10:30" seders. I never understood how people can stay up past then after all the cleaning and prep, etc.

This year, I believe we got the afikomen in by chatzos, at my parents house. Finished cleaning up around three, and then took a stroll around the block to air out and walk off some of the Matza.

Don't ask why Barech, hallel, and nirta took close to three hours. I have no clue.

amother
Gray

Post Fri, Apr 13 2018, 7:11 am
amother wrote:
Growing up, we did the "finish by 10:30" seders. I never understood how people can stay up past then after all the cleaning and prep, etc.

This year, I believe we got the afikomen in by chatzos, at my parents house. Finished cleaning up around three, and then took a stroll around the block to air out and walk off some of the Matza.

Don't ask why Barech, hallel, and nirta took close to three hours. I have no clue.

This was my mother in law’s house and when we started making seders two years ago I told my husband that’s not happening. Goal is to be done by 1 and if we run later fine but it won’t be because we spent an hour chatting after the meal was finished before we moved on with the Seder. With the kids saying whatever they wanted and reading the Haggadah out loud we were done both night by midnight.

amother
Puce

Post Fri, Apr 13 2018, 6:07 pm
doctorima wrote:
In our circles, our goal is usually to finish the afikomen by Chatzos, and B"H we've always been successful in doing so.

I've heard of others who are only makpid to get up to Motzi Matzah by that point, while some try to finish Hallel to get in all 4 kosos before Chatzos, and there are plenty who are content to go along with no time pressure and finish whenever they finish.

Then there are our neighbors who don't understand why we have to rush Shulchan Orech to get to the afikomen in time ... because they're done with Chad Gadya and fast asleep by 10:30!

So where does your family fit in, and what do you do if you're at your parents or DH's parents who have different customs about this?

Do your neighbors live in Brazil or Argentina? Maybe SAfrica? On the other side of the equator where Pesach starts early?

doctorima

Post Sat, Apr 14 2018, 9:23 pm
If my neighbors lived in those places, then I would be in the same boat as they are. Smile But nope, I live in Brooklyn, and so do my neighbors. It looks like the majority of people also aim to eat the afikomen by chatzos, interesting to hear that some differentiate between the 1st day and the 2nd day. The 2nd day is Yom Tov Sheini, and is also more pressure since I can't start preparing until much later, so the Seder inevitably starts later as well.

amother
Jetblack

Post Sat, Apr 14 2018, 9:47 pm
I’m one of the 2 people who answered Mah Nishtanah, and it isn’t a joke! I’m guessing the other person must be my sister in law!

doctorima

Post Sat, Apr 14 2018, 10:54 pm
amother wrote:
I’m one of the 2 people who answered Mah Nishtanah, and it isn’t a joke! I’m guessing the other person must be my sister in law!

Wow, what takes so long, and what time do you finally finish?

happy12

Post Sat, Apr 14 2018, 11:11 pm
Usually done by chatzos. Dh daven in early minyan and we start immediately. The seder usually takes between 3-3 1/2 hours.
My neighbors take the same amount of time but they generally don't start before 1030.

BadTichelDay

Post Sun, Apr 15 2018, 3:35 am
We are not consciously makpid on finishing anything by chatzot. We just let the Seder take its natural course. And we usually start late and end late - started around 09:00 p.m. and finished after 02:00 a.m. this year and it was similar in previous years.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Apr 15 2018, 5:04 am
Dh plans out the seder beforehand to spend time in the areas we want to instead of discussing "yachol m'rosh chodesh" for a hour.
We have the whole seuda the next day to fill in the gaps.

keym

Post Sun, Apr 15 2018, 9:31 am
We do afikomen by chatzos so we plan to finish maggid 1-1 1/2 hours before. I mentioned this on the other thread but my husband sits erev yt and divides the kids divrei torah. They use colored sticky notes -first seder, second seder, each of the othrr meals. This way we can pace ourselves without 6 divrei torah by each paragraph.
We finish the seder by 2:30/3. We hold the kids(over 8/9) need to try to say the whole hallel al hakos so we sing and say slowly as much as possible.
Chatzos is 1 nowadays so finishing at 2:30 means barech hallel nirtza takes 1 1/2 hours.
Also we rush to get afikomen in by chatzos and only after we clear the table and put away the leftovers.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics