Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Yellow and gold thing does it really really work?
1  2  Next

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Apr 12 2018, 2:31 pm
hi
had a baby boy abt 5 days ago. they dis a test today to see if its ok. they said just abt . they will repeat tomorrow and if its still not good I will need to go in and have treatment. I really cant go in. can I relay on the gold thing feeding and negal vasser? plz tell me it worked for you ?!

happinessseeker

Post Thu, Apr 12 2018, 2:33 pm
I’m assuming you mean jaundice. I used a billi blanket and supplemented with formula to make sure the baby was eating a lot and Bh the numbers went down.

watergirl

Post Thu, Apr 12 2018, 2:36 pm
I have no idea what you’re talking about. Who needs the treatment, you or the baby?

And mazel tov!

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Apr 12 2018, 2:42 pm
Also keep the baby in the sun (through a window is fine) for a few minutes at a time, as exposed as possible. My pediatrician recommended this, and the jaundice cleared up in time for the brit.

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Apr 12 2018, 2:46 pm
happinessseeker wrote:
I’m assuming you mean jaundice. I used a billi blanket and supplemented with formula to make sure the baby was eating a lot and Bh the numbers went down.

what blanket?

Aylat

Post Thu, Apr 12 2018, 2:49 pm
happinessseeker wrote:

I'm glad it worked for you but AFAIK breastmilk is recommended as being effective in breaking down the bilirubin.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Apr 12 2018, 3:03 pm
amother wrote:
what blanket?

I used the blanket too-but it was by prescription from a doctor (because he was so jaundiced). It's a blanket with special lights that you hold against the baby and it makes his numbers improve. Putting him in direct sunlight should have the same effect. If it doesn't work and he's jaundiced and has to push off the bris a little, it's not the biggest deal either!

Hatzlacha

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Apr 12 2018, 3:04 pm
Aylat wrote:
I'm glad it worked for you but AFAIK breastmilk is recommended as being effective in breaking down the bilirubin.

I was told (by a doctor) that the main thing, when they recommend formula in these cases) is that the baby drinks a lot (and that's why they recommend supplementing with formula, only because I think they kind of assume you'll "get more into them" with formula). . . it has nothing to do with specific characteristics of breastmilk or formula

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Apr 12 2018, 4:28 pm
amother wrote:
I was told (by a doctor) that the main thing, when they recommend formula in these cases) is that the baby drinks a lot (and that's why they recommend supplementing with formula, only because I think they kind of assume you'll "get more into them" with formula). . . it has nothing to do with specific characteristics of breastmilk or formula

That is correct . My oldest was very jaundiced and not urinating on day 3 after birth. The hospital told me to pump my milk and to give the baby formula rather than breast milk. He also had the Bilirubin blanket, which was prescribed to us by a doctor.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Apr 12 2018, 4:29 pm
amother wrote:
hi
had a baby boy abt 5 days ago. they dis a test today to see if its ok. they said just abt . they will repeat tomorrow and if its still not good I will need to go in and have treatment. I really cant go in. can I relay on the gold thing feeding and negal vasser? plz tell me it worked for you ?!

Can you tell us what the "gold thing" is and what negel vasser does? And what treatment are you talking about?

Last edited by thunderstorm on Thu, Apr 12 2018, 5:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Iymnok

Post Thu, Apr 12 2018, 4:39 pm
washing the baby’s hands is a well known segula for a bris on time.
Keep in mind that the numbers peak at about day five then drop to an acceptable level by day 8.

(Spray your breastmilk into his eyes to prevent infection. An eye infection pushes the bris off one week after it is resolved.)

tweety1

Post Fri, Apr 13 2018, 9:20 am
I have a bunch of boys. All who were very yellow but bh had the Bris on time. The idea of formula is to get the baby to have dirty diapers. Not wet. I gave my babies 4 Oz water with a heaping tablespoon of brown sugar and boy did it do the trick! I couldn't keep up with the diapers.

amother
Slategray

Post Fri, Apr 13 2018, 9:34 am
I did negel vasser and left the baby undressed w/ diaper in the sun for a very long time throughout the day - it worked but was a very close call. I also gave the baby formula and a sugar water bottle

shanie5

Post Sun, Apr 15 2018, 12:17 am
There is something called breast milk jaundice. It causes the bilirubin to go up instead of down. My friend recently went through this. She had to stop breast feeding for a couple of weeks. She pumped and went back to breast feeding after he improved. His bris was at 6 week sold.

There is a segulah to wash the babys hand for negel vasser for an on time bris.

tweety1

Post Sun, Apr 15 2018, 8:24 am
tweety1 wrote:
I have a bunch of boys. All who were very yellow but bh had the Bris on time. The idea of formula is to get the baby to have dirty diapers. Not wet. I gave my babies 4 Oz water with a heaping tablespoon of brown sugar and boy did it do the trick! I couldn't keep up with the diapers.

Why the hug here??

imasoftov

Post Sun, Apr 15 2018, 8:51 am
So no one is going to explain the "gold thing"?

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Apr 15 2018, 8:54 am
imasoftov wrote:
So no one is going to explain the "gold thing"?
Nu? The curiousity is killing me!

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Apr 15 2018, 9:05 am
shanie5 wrote:
There is something called breast milk jaundice. It causes the bilirubin to go up instead of down. My friend recently went through this. She had to stop breast feeding for a couple of weeks. She pumped and went back to breast feeding after he improved. His bris was at 6 week sold.

There is a segulah to wash the babys hand for negel vasser for an on time bris.

My baby had this. his bris was at 9 weeks. I went off breast milk 3 times for 2 days each. by it wasn't dangerous at all but super annoying to me.

keym

Post Sun, Apr 15 2018, 9:19 am
At that age, I give a 2 oz pottle of pumped milk if they are becoming more yellow and if they are having small dirty diapers. The bottles- even of my milk usually create the diaper explosions. The body needs the dirty diapers to expel the bilirubin.
Also be careful putting newborns in direct sunlight. They can get sunburned, dehydrated, and heat stroke very easily and their skin is very delicate.

imasoftov

Post Sun, Apr 15 2018, 9:26 am
tweety1 wrote:
Why the hug here??

I didn't hug you, but neither would I give a newborn sugar water unless instructed to by a doctor.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics