Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Asbestos tiles in basement

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Apr 15 2018, 9:06 am
We are in the middle of buying a house. We just had our inspection this week. The inspector suspects that the 9x9 floor tiles in the basement are made from aspestos. He noticed that there was a loose tile in the boiler room, then said that we need to make sure to securely glue the tile down because as long as the tiles are secure, there's a much lower risk of them breaking, causing asbestos dust in the air. He also advised not to remove the tiles because that may cause issues. He said to just leave them, just make sure that they are secure. The inspector didn't seem so concerned. I know that he's a professional, but I'm really freaking out knowing that there is asbestos tiles in the basement. I keep telling my husband that I no longer want to by the house, yet he keeps telling me that I really have nothing to worry about. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is this really nothing to worry about? I'm really freaking out!!!

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Apr 15 2018, 9:24 am
We we're told if you cover over the asbestos you won't have a problem . We put a vinyl floor on top of those tiles.

imamom7

Post Sun, Apr 15 2018, 9:25 am
I had this- one of the tiles started peeling off and I got nervous because my children play downstairs all the time
We ended up covering the tiles with laminate flooring
It looks beautiful and want such a big deal

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Apr 15 2018, 9:31 am
Covered mine with carpet. No issues at all. I don’t think you’ve anything to worry about, even if you don’t cover them.

Amarante

Post Sun, Apr 15 2018, 9:55 am
As others have posted, asbestos is safe so long as the tiles (or other material isn't disturbed).

Any tiles installed 20 or more years ago had asbestos tiles so you probably have been around asbestos without realizing it as many kitchens and bathrooms had some form of vinyl tiles if they didn't have ceramic tile on the floors. Apartment buildings typically used asbestos tiles in the hallways.

I am remodeling and just removed the popcorn ceiling which had asbestos. It was safe until I removed it because it was intact and therefore no asbestos particles were in the air. However, I had to hire a special hazmat squad to remove and dispose of the debris.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Apr 15 2018, 2:10 pm
Before you commit to buy the house, make sure that the presence of asbestos won't seriously affect your mortgage insurance. Once it's mentioned on your inspection, you can't deny that you knew about it, later on.

If you can afford to remove it, get the best crew you can find, and get a certificate of asbestos abatement. This will greatly improve the resale value of your home if you ever plan on selling. It will cost a lot up front, though. Get lots of estimates.

If you keep it, get the best advice on sealing it down. It's the airborn stuff you have to worry about, and there are spray type paints that can be used to cover up the tiles and keep them from flaking off.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Apr 15 2018, 2:24 pm
Woah, people are still legally doing those in America??
I wouldn't buy, if only because it will never sell.

abaker

Post Sun, Apr 15 2018, 2:30 pm
we learned alot about this when buying our home. so many houses have asbestos tiles in the basement. as others have said you just cover them and they are not a problem. it's the ripping out of the tiles/dust flying that is a problem. put down some laminate on top and no issues at all.

thanks

Post Sun, Apr 15 2018, 2:31 pm
Ruchel wrote:
Woah, people are still legally doing those in America??
I wouldn't buy, if only because it will never sell.

Many houses have it, and there is no problem with resale. We covered ours with hardwood.

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Apr 15 2018, 2:32 pm
Ruchel, it depends on how old the house is. My house is over 100 years old. There was asbestos in the basement.

As a term of purchase, we told the owner she would have to remove or encapsulate it, as my realtor advised. She did, and we are here for close to a decade, no issues, BH.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Apr 15 2018, 2:37 pm
Asbestos tiles are common in homes built in the 1960s and earlier. They are only dangerous if the tiles are "friable" — meaning the tiles are crumbling and can release asbestos fibers into the air.

As others have already posted, just cover them with vinyl sheet or carpet and they will not be dangerous.

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Apr 15 2018, 7:50 pm
My husband has an asbestos removal and decontamination business. Asbestos is only harmful if it is airborne. If it is secure there is no danger. However if you ever would want to remove the tiles ie major renovations it will be expensive to remove.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics