Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Preparing toddler for surgery

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Apr 15 2018, 10:29 am
My almost 4 year old is having her tonsils and adenoids removed soon. I have not told her about the upcoming procedure. My questions are:
1. How long before the procedure should I tell her? A week, 2 days, the night before? She doesn't really understand the concept of time too well.
2. How much should I tell her? She shouldn't be uncomfortable until after the surgery is complete and she wakes up. Should I let her know that she will have a boo boo afterwards? She generally enjoys going to doctors and doesn't put up a fuss, but did not enjoy her sleep study experience. I plan on buying her a present for afterwards. I would think that she should see it beforehand so she will be happy with what's coming?
Any other advice?

Post Sun, Apr 15 2018, 10:32 am
Read the Curious George book with her several times. They have one version where the monkey goes for surgery. My child knew what to expect.

pesek zman

Post Sun, Apr 15 2018, 10:35 am
Reach out to Child Life at the hospital. They will have some good ideas

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Apr 15 2018, 10:39 am
I think I let my child know in advance and I explained the process of anesthesia and going to sleep that you don't feel anything. I also let him know I would be with him the whole time.
I was surprised that they asked me to come into the operating room with him until he was under the anesthesia. So he saw me with him until he fell asleep and I was with him the minute he woke up.
I did not let him know that post surgery he will be cranky and discomfort. We told him we'd get him ice cream when it was over. We treated him to ices and ice cream but he was not interested in any of it. Recovery was quicker than we thought and it was quickly forgotten about.

tymama

Post Sun, Apr 15 2018, 11:23 am
My 3 years old just had her tonsils and adenoids out at CHOP and I spoke with the coaches there and they gave me really good tips. 1- there’s a Danial Tiger Neighborhood episode about rest is best for after surgery
2 - don’t say sleep or nap cuz then she might be afraid to nap later on
3- explain that the doc will fix what hurts and able to sleep better

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Apr 15 2018, 11:49 am
When my first kid (2.5) had tubes placed the Dr told him he has froggies in his ear. My ds thought it was funny. He loves dogs, so I got him a stuffed dog and gave it him when he woke up. ( The hospital had a bag full of stuffed animals and had him pick one as well)

When my next ds(5) had his tonsils and adenoids removed, he was so happy to get rid of the booboo in his throat. We got him a present as well. We kept him home for a week because he had to be on a soft food diet. I didn't want to give his teacher that responsibility.

We read a few kids books about going to the hospital. I didn't make a big deal about it.

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Apr 15 2018, 2:31 pm
OP here.
Thanks everyone for your replies. So I'll tell her a few days before that we are going to the doctor to fix her throat? Should I tell her that we will rest in the hospital and the doctor will make her be able to sleep better at night? And mommy will buy you a present and ice cream afterwards? I don't own (or know) the curious George book so I don't know how detailed it goes.

(Oh my poor baby! I feel so bad she has to go through this!!)

Post Sun, Apr 15 2018, 2:46 pm
amother wrote:
OP here.
Thanks everyone for your replies. So I'll tell her a few days before that we are going to the doctor to fix her throat? Should I tell her that we will rest in the hospital and the doctor will make her be able to sleep better at night? And mommy will buy you a present and ice cream afterwards? I don't own (or know) the curious George book so I don't know how detailed it goes.

(Oh my poor baby! I feel so bad she has to go through this!!)

You can take it out from the library.

DC charmed the nurses when DC said "ready for my jammies". And DC held out DC's arm and said, "ready for my IV."

The surgeon put flavored chapstick on the part that goes over the nose. The surgeon also let me come in. I didn't have to put the facemask on, so DC saw my face as the last face.

Be proactive in the recovery. They didn't want to give DC pain relief. I was adamant. The little tears were falling silently. Make sure you advocate for DC.

DC was not much interested in the toy I had waiting. So be prepared for that also.

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Apr 15 2018, 2:57 pm
I have done this surgery before and scheduled to do it again on a few weeks (2 diff children) last time I was pretty nervous but after seeing the positive results I’m more excited to get him helped! I will prob tell him a few days before and describe what will happen. Hatzlacha!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics