Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
So I bought the instapot, now what??

tweety1

Post Sun, Apr 15 2018, 5:28 am
I finally invested in an instapot. How do I use it? What are some good recipes to cook in it? What shouldn't I even try?
Experienced instapot users help me out here plz

challahchallah

Post Sun, Apr 15 2018, 7:19 am
Sorry I don't have one, but one of my favorite cooking blogs had this article recently (and I think also has a whole series of instapot recipes):

https://skillet.lifehacker.com.....30616

southernbubby

Post Sun, Apr 15 2018, 8:13 am
I bought one for one of my DDs as a Pesach gift and she loves it. She made soups, stews, and Pesachdik chollent in it and feels that if a person wants soup for supper but it would ordinarily take an hour and a half to cook, with an instapot, you could have that soup only half an hour after putting the chicken and veggies in. She said that it saved them from having junky suppers on chol ha moed when they spent the day at kiddie attractions and came home starving for some real food.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Apr 15 2018, 8:35 am
I want one so bad!

There are tons of cooking blogs out there right now with amazing recipies. The best thing I can thing of is that you can take a really cheap, tough cut of beef and put it in there, and it comes out melting tender. With the money you could save it would be totally worth it.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Apr 15 2018, 8:39 am
I’m still playing Ruth mine but last week I sautéed garlic cloves in their skins with red wine and lamb brisket. It was insanely good. I can make meat bone broth in five hours versus 18-34. Turkey broth in 2 hours.

Wasn’t nuts about the whole chicken I cooked but obviously I cooked it too long and too much liquid. So still playing with mine.

That lamb brisket though. Mmmm.

WhatFor

Post Sun, Apr 15 2018, 8:54 am
I would suggest you to start with the water test (it's really quick!) Then do a couple of really easy things like eggs, potatoes, before you get to anything more complex.

tweety1

Post Sun, Apr 15 2018, 9:38 am
What's the water test?

WhatFor

Post Sun, Apr 15 2018, 9:58 am
tweety1 wrote:
What's the water test?

If you have Facebook, I'd join instantpotcommunity. It's the official (company) instant pot group on Facebook and it has a video linked with the water test and other important things to know.

I found it very useful and believe learning some really easy tips saved me a lot of trouble down the line. I also followed the group for a while bc ppl would make mistakes and others explained the issue. That said, obviously a good portion of the recipes aren't kosher (some are vegetarian!) so if you're not interested in modifying recipes you can just leave.

If you are in the group and want a very good easy beginner recipe, search the group for Syracuse potatoes.

tweety1

Post Sun, Apr 15 2018, 10:09 am
I don't have Facebook.

tichellady

Post Sun, Apr 15 2018, 10:22 am
Don’t try to use it when you are in a rush. You can’t make dinner it in in 30 minutes but you can reduce the time to make something like brisket or chicken soup.
I like making risotto in mine and like that I can throw in frozen chicken or meat if I forget to defrost them

Here are some recipe ideas: https://www.skinnytaste.com/re.....oker/
https://damndelicious.net/?s=Instant+pot

shyshira

Post Sun, Apr 15 2018, 10:30 am
If you have a meatball recipe that you normally cook on the stovetop in liquid, you can do that in the IP on pressurecook - 10 mins. Then maybe wait 10 mins before releasing pressure.

The water test is in the instruction booklet. Good idea to do - the machines are occasionally defective, the test helps you determine that yours is not.

watergirl

Post Sun, Apr 15 2018, 10:37 am
Hippressurecooking.com

Watch her series called “pressure cooking school” in order. Even the treif recipes. You’ll learn everything you need to know.

ValleyMom

Post Sun, Apr 15 2018, 11:46 am
I love making soups in my IP.
Throw in any veggies- even the ones that are starting to "fade".
Ad a couple of handfuls of any type of beans along with some orem consommé or a jar of marinara sauce and red wine (if you like tomato base soups) in an hour you r home will smell heavenly.
There's NO fat.
It's got great plant based protein.
It's super filling.
FYI lentil soup in 30 minutes.

My family also loves the black beans and rice- google any IP recipe for black beans- SUPER easy!

abaker

Post Sun, Apr 15 2018, 12:01 pm
ValleyMom wrote:
I love making soups in my IP.
Throw in any veggies- even the ones that are starting to "fade".
Ad a couple of handfuls of any type of beans along with some orem consommé or a jar of marinara sauce and red wine (if you like tomato base soups) in an hour you r home will smell heavenly.
There's NO fat.
It's got great plant based protein.
It's super filling.
FYI lentil soup in 30 minutes.

My family also loves the black beans and rice- google any IP recipe for black beans- SUPER easy!

this stuff sounds great, I need some help with my IP. I made soup once and wasn't a huge fan. I should work on trying to use it again

WhatFor

Post Mon, Apr 16 2018, 10:59 am
tweety1 wrote:
I don't have Facebook.

Then you can just Google things. Google water test, then Google Syracuse potatoes instant pot, things will pop up. You can Google instant pot hard boiled eggs/soft boiled eggs, etc. I like to watch videos until I totally get the hang of things.

A lot of people seem to make cheesecake in theirs but I never have.

mha3484

Post Mon, Apr 16 2018, 11:04 am
I started with the water test, then I did eggs, then I think I made meatballs. What I found the most helpful was reading a blog post that explained any recipe you would normally make like chicken, corned beef, meatballs, soups can be done using the manual button for 1/3 of the time. So I made the standard sweet and sour meatballs that normally boil for one hour in 20 minutes, I made a corned beef that would normally boil for 3 hours in one hour etc. Now I dont really feel the need to find IP specific recipes I just make what looks good and adjust time accordingly.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Apr 16 2018, 4:15 pm
I won one and used it for Pesach as a pareve pot which I loved. I made quite a lot of hardboiled eggs and they were pareve so we could have them with anything. I steamed potatoes for a potato salad and I also did so for an omelet bar I made where I had diced potatoes as an option. I steamed sweet potatoes for my baby nephew. I roasted potatoes for supper (that was a bit more complex and only saved a little time, not as much). I made gefilte fish which came out so good that I couldn't even tell it was Pesachdik (and I've had this exact kind on Pesach before) -- after it comes to boil/pressure, it only takes 20 minutes. I really appreciated it for these uses. Maybe I did more in it, I don't remember...
I decided to leave it for Pesach though. My reasoning is that I loved the idea of having a pareve solution, and I have a chometz pareve pot but I hardly use it because I hate doing dishes if I have a dishwasher option, which I do for milchig and fleishig. So I think I wouldn't use this enough during the year.
Pesach, I need to wash all dishes anyway. It also was nice to be able to get a headstart on cooking before I was fully ready to cook (spices were not all unpacked, etc) and I did my hardboiled eggs and made a potato salad before I had everything at my disposal.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus