Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Seeking info haor beacon school

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 3:32 pm
Please post any current info you have on haor beacon school. I will be starting to look into it as an option for my son for next year. Things like what the parent body is like, what the students are like, what degree of behavioral issues they deal with and if you sent your sons what kind of progress/or regression they had. On a separate note in desperate need of chizzuk my son is really testing me to my limit. Putting in so much koach into him, spending lots of money I don’t have on prpfessional help, driving him 3x a week to an Ot gym so he gets sensory help.... and not seeing improvement.

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 3:46 pm
I looked into for my son for next year. It is an excellent program and I could tell that the staff really cares and knows what they're doing. Ultimately we decided against it because the fact is, the boys who go there have major behavioral issues. Way beyond what we are dealing with. I spoke to my son's team of therapists and we agreed that there was a risk of him picking up negative behaviors that he doesn't currently have. Now obviously there are some kids who have behavioral challenges that only Beacon can handle. I think you really need to go see for yourself, and get a sense of whether it's the right environment for your son knowing what you know about him. The fact that it isn't the right choice for my child doesn't make it a bad school- it's an excellent program, you just need to see if it's the right fit for your son's profile. As for the parent body, it's a mix. They'll take any child whose family is prioritizing keeping their child in yeshiva. So they're all frum families, but really across the whole spectrum of Orthodoxy.

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 4:01 pm
Can I ask what your alternative is, I’m thinking it might be a bit more behaviorally challenged for my son... and the last thing I need right now is for him to pick up other challenging behaviors but he can’t hack it at mainstream right now...

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 4:07 pm
Mine is going to Sinai at YNJ, and will hopefully eventually mainstream into YNJ. I really think you should visit Beacon and get a sense for yourself. If the kids seem to be a similar profile to your son, then it will very likely work out well. If you feel your son is significantly higher functioning than the average kid there, then I suggest looking at other options.

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 4:39 pm
Thanks for the help.
Anyone else have current info??

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 6:32 pm
amother wrote:
I looked into for my son for next year. It is an excellent program and I could tell that the staff really cares and knows what they're doing. Ultimately we decided against it because the fact is, the boys who go there have major behavioral issues. Way beyond what we are dealing with. I spoke to my son's team of therapists and we agreed that there was a risk of him picking up negative behaviors that he doesn't currently have. Now obviously there are some kids who have behavioral challenges that only Beacon can handle. I think you really need to go see for yourself, and get a sense of whether it's the right environment for your son knowing what you know about him. The fact that it isn't the right choice for my child doesn't make it a bad school- it's an excellent program, you just need to see if it's the right fit for your son's profile. As for the parent body, it's a mix. They'll take any child whose family is prioritizing keeping their child in yeshiva. So they're all frum families, but really across the whole spectrum of Orthodoxy.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 6:34 pm
amother wrote:

Ouch. My son goes there and he does not have “major behavioral issues” nor has he picked up any of the negative behaviors of other boys. I think what you meant was SOME of the boys have major behavioral issues.
OP, if you want you can message me and I will provide you with any info I can.

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Apr 12 2018, 3:32 am
eema of 3 wrote:
Ouch. My son goes there and he does not have “major behavioral issues” nor has he picked up any of the negative behaviors of other boys. I think what you meant was SOME of the boys have major behavioral issues.
OP, if you want you can message me and I will provide you with any info I can.

I pm’d you. Again if anyone has info please share. Thanks

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Apr 12 2018, 4:56 am
I don't have any children there, but I do have to nephews there. And they are doing very well. Also the diamond program ( a very expensive day camp) is amazing. Which they also deal with behavioral children. And again 2 of my nephews went there and both showed amazing improvement. and they have parenting classes that teach you the techniques they use in camp for you to carry out at home

livinginisrael

Post Mon, Apr 16 2018, 8:32 am
im looking into this school too. I just left them a message. looking into diamond program as well.

amother
Ivory

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 9:09 am
My son goes there, I cannot say enough amazing things about this program and school.

Many children are there because they are having difficulties in a classroom setting. Its hard for them to learn and follow the rules of the class, like sitting quietly, transiting to activities and following direction. It does not make them troubled children, or a negative influence. They need help and guidance to help them focus, learn how to follow rules and mature.

For my son, this school turned around his behavior both in the classroom and at home. He went from being a very difficult to control child, to a wonderful delicious boy eager to please and help.

Its an amazing program with dedicated teachers and good frum kids.

livinginisrael

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 3:04 pm
I ended up sending here. Extremely happy

Ema of 5

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 3:14 pm
I wonder if any of us who send there know each other in real life?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics