Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Mesores bais Yaakov or lev bais Yaakov HS or another?
Previous  1  2

Duggie

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 3:21 am
sorry to say this but I learned this the hard way.

I went to one of the above schools and you will be hard pressed to find a class that doesn't watch TV or hang out w boys in brooklyn. of course you'll find that the school's like, no way our girls dont do that but heck yeah they do.

Also you mentioned that you don't want to send her to a very academic school, well most of the above schools are pretty academic. plus the girls are extremely competitive about marks for the most part.

hope this helps.

sounds like you need an out of town school like philly or something. you can PM me I have some ideas

ettilou

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 5:23 am
Duggie perhaps a couple girls in your school did watch tv and hang out with boys but I believe that for the schools mentioned it is not the norm and in fact more of an anomaly. I don't believe any of the principals would allow those families, or girls, to remain in their schools if they knew. There is no need to send to Philly when we have amazing schools right here. Nothing against Philly. This imho

amother

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 3:58 pm
We looked into Lev BY for our DD although she did not end up going there. I was very impressed, it seems like a very wholesome warm atmosphere, I know the menaheles and she is wonderful. Really ready to go out of her way for the girls.

That said we ended up sending to Shevach and our dd is very happy there academically and socially.
Their open house is coming up soon - check it out. Plenty of Ashkenazim there, along with Bucharian and sefardi girls.

That said, I came from the 5T and was sent to Brooklyn for HS. I firmly believe that you should try to send to a local school there if at all possible, why make it harder socially for your dd when she has no shabbos friends? I think if you are not materialistic (and that is relative BTW) then you should stand up for that and she will learn to have self confidence without the brand name look. There are other girls there with those values, they will find each other.
Besides, who are you kidding? Half of Brooklyn moved to the 5 towns. they are practically the same thing at this point!

amother

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 4:42 pm
Thanks for your post. Tell me about shevach. I didn't know Ashkenazim still go. It's not just the materialism that my daughter is looking to get away from, she's also looking for a smaller school, a warm environment and a friendly crowd. She has no true friends in the 5ts anyway. When is shevachs open house. I didn't see it advertised. Is there a 5ts bus? Tell me all about shevach. I am very interested. Thanks!

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Jun 05 2016, 11:04 pm
To the parent raving about BNOS YAAKOV. Is it an elementary school or a HS or both? Are there still a lot of five Towners attending? Did the school move to Flatbush yet?

Can you compare BNOS Yaakov HS to BYBP HS?

Thanks.

cnc

Post Sun, Jun 05 2016, 11:13 pm
amother wrote:
To the parent raving about BNOS YAAKOV. Is it an elementary school or a HS or both? Are there still a lot of five Towners attending? Did the school move to Flatbush yet?

Can you compare BNOS Yaakov HS to BYBP HS?

Thanks.

It's a high school. They moved to Flatbush .
The crowd in BYHS in BP is more yeshivish/heimish.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Jun 05 2016, 11:26 pm
How many girls were on the five town van this year?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Jun 05 2016, 11:30 pm
I second Bnos Yaakov. It sounds exactly like what your DD is looking for.

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Jun 06 2016, 5:57 am
I would strongly urge you to do your research on Bnos Yaakov. Speak to parents of graduates before you decide. Many, many of us feel very strongly differently than what was posted here.

cnc

Post Mon, Jun 06 2016, 7:16 am
Keep in mind that this thread is not a recent thread so maybe start a new one or ask people IRL if you want up to date accurate information.

theleithouse

Post Tue, Apr 17 2018, 10:49 pm
[Unpaid ad removed]

das

Post Tue, Apr 17 2018, 10:58 pm
Devorah, some points.

1. Your post has nothing to do with this thread.
2. It's an ad and not appropriate here.
3. Most importantly, posting your cell phone number online is not a wise idea. I suggest you remove it asap.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics