Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains
Thrift store deals worth buying

southernbubby

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 7:30 am
I do "camp bubby" every summer and always stock up on needed supplies for arts and crafts, games, puzzles, and toys.

I went to my nearby Salvation Army thrift store (I was told that we can buy from them but should not donate anything because they are a Xtian religious group that proselytizes), and found unopened craft sets, games, puzzles, and toys. Some of it is on sale from whatever they were charging and there is a senior discount on certain days.

I suggest that anyone who has kids home for the summer, check out the deals in these places if there is such a place nearby. I paid much less that those same items would sell for in regular stores.

A lot of people receive these items as gifts and donate them or stores donate unsold merchandise.

pesek zman

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 7:47 am
I'm big into thrift stores! I found my mink coat at a goodwill a few years ago for practically nothing

strawberry cola

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 7:51 am
why are you allowed to purchase from them if they are a proselytizing group?

southernbubby

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 8:00 am
strawberry cola wrote:

Because we can assume that most store owners have a religion and most religions besides Judaism proselytize or actually force their views on others. For example, I sew and one of the main fabric stores is Hobby Lobby which is very Xtian. Obviously if there was a Jewish option it would be preferred to spend a small amount more and use that but one of the Jewish thrift stores here is run by a liberal Jewish group who is in favor of abortion rights and some of the proceeds may go to fund abortions, some of which may be contrary to halacha.

We would be very limited as to where we could shop if we did have avoid Xtian or Muslim owned stores but some very secular owned businesses might be in the market of selling znus or immodest goods so where does that leave us?

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 8:09 am
southernbubby wrote:
Because we can assume that most store owners have a religion and most religions besides Judaism proselytize or actually force their views on others. For example, I sew and one of the main fabric stores is Hobby Lobby which is very Xtian. Obviously if there was a Jewish option it would be preferred to spend a small amount more and use that but one of the Jewish thrift stores here is run by a liberal Jewish group who is in favor of abortion rights and some of the proceeds may go to fund abortions, some of which may be contrary to halacha.

We would be very limited as to where we could shop if we did have avoid Xtian or Muslim owned stores but some very secular owned businesses might be in the market of selling znus or immodest goods so where does that leave us?

Because the Salvation Army receives very substantial government funding, it has agreed not to proselytize or impose religious restrictions under certain conditions:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com......html

So that may differentiate them from, say, the St Vincent de Paul Society. But AYLOR

southernbubby

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 8:22 am
SixOfWands wrote:
Because the Salvation Army receives very substantial government funding, it has agreed not to proselytize or impose religious restrictions under certain conditions:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com......html

So that may differentiate them from, say, the St Vincent de Paul Society. But AYLOR

They had Xtian music playing while I was in the store but I would rather them play that than certain types of rap music with anti-Semitic lyrics that I have complained to a regular store about.

I have also asked my LOR about shopping in a thrift shop that was in the back of a church and was told that it was permissible.

For that matter, the Marriott Hotel chain is owned by a Mormon (https://www.deseretnews.com/top/1700/6/Marriot-Hotel-20-companies-with-religious-roots.html) and each room has the Book of Mormon in a night stand drawer, together with the Xtian bible placed there by the Gideon society which is found in just about all hotels that I have stayed in.

seeker

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 10:32 am
I think it's a matter of availability. If there were non-religious thrift store with those kind of deals then there would be more of a question. Those are very few and very far between because who donates things to a store without a cause? I'm not sure what Goodwill's affiliation is but I've only seen clothes of interest there, the other departments were lame.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 10:53 am
seeker wrote:
I think it's a matter of availability. If there were non-religious thrift store with those kind of deals then there would be more of a question. Those are very few and very far between because who donates things to a store without a cause? I'm not sure what Goodwill's affiliation is but I've only seen clothes of interest there, the other departments were lame.

While Goodwill is a bit far away, there are other thrift stores in the area but Salvation Army seems to have the best buys. There are thrift stores that help veterans or drug abuse programs but the question is whether or not they have what I am looking for.

mommyla

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 10:59 am
seeker wrote:

I was also told not to donate to Salvation Army, but Goodwill is fine. I give the clothes that are a bit out of style (that the local g'mach won't take) to Goodwill.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 11:03 am
We have done well at Value Village.
It’s worth a trip to the thrift stores in or near affluent neighborhoods. The merchandise is of higher quality.

Amarante

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 11:25 am
I tried donating a large amount of furniture to the Jewish Council of Women and when the lazy movers came, they wouldn't take because they were too large. It included a normal size dining room wood table; dining room chairs and a coffee table - they just didn't want to work. ETA - The items were in great shape - I scrambled around and fortuitously my friend's in laws needed furniture so they took it.

I had set up an appointment and told the office that I was donating furniture and listed the items.

Mommy1:)

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 11:32 am
strawberry cola wrote:

Ask your LOR. Mine said no to the salvation army, but goodwill is ok.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 11:33 am
Mommy1:) wrote:
Ask your LOR. Mine said no to the salvation army, but goodwill is ok.

interesting because years ago, mine said it was Ok

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 11:46 am
southernbubby wrote:
interesting because years ago, mine said it was Ok

Rav Shmuel Fuerst, dayan of Agudath Israel of Illinois and talmid muvhak of Rav Moshe Feinstein zt"l said in public that there is no problem donating to the Salvation Army.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 11:48 am
OOTBubby wrote:
Rav Shmuel Fuerst, dayan of Agudath Israel of Illinois and talmid muvhak of Rav Moshe Feinstein zt"l said in public that there is no problem donating to the Salvation Army.

also interesting
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains