Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Musings on Spring fashion

syrima

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 9:51 pm
Pesach has come and gone, and we are all eagerly awaiting Spring. I am sure I am not the only one who spent a pretty penny on some gorgeous floral dresses or tops that stayed in the closet over Yom Tov. The weather just did not cooperate, between a snowstorm, rain, and just plain COLD. This has caused some widespread confusion over which season it actually is. By rights and by the calendar, it is Spring. But this year, to go by the calendar is to risk frostbite. I don’t care how nice your gauzy florals are, if you wear them right now I will get cold just looking at you, and you will certainly catch the flu. Flu season, I have been told by my doctor, is NOT over.

Just last night I went to an evening event. As the reader may know, evening events such as dinners or weddings usually take place in the draftiest halls, and all women are expected to wear the fanciest (read flimsiest) fabrics. If you can’t almost see through it, and you don’t have to dry clean it, it is usually not fancy enough. Mink, of course, is the exception. I could have used a mink at this affair, at least in the drafty reception hall. All the women who were being asked to part with their coats at the coat check looked very unhappy, as they had just come in from the crisp night air ( I think it was 40 or below). Some women held onto their coats defiantly, choosing health over fashion. However there was one fashionista there who must not have a weather app. She was dressed in a sage charmeuse silky dress which reached somewhere on the upper thigh, and very interesting shoes. Black suede, high thin heels, a flip-flop-like open-toe front, and then a thick band of black suede fringe cuffed around each ankle. Sort of like Minnetonka meets Miami. BRRRR! I felt cold just looking at her. I would advise everyone to resist the urge to show off one’s pedicure until after the temperature has reached the 70s and STAYED there for the better part of a week. Spring is as Spring does, in other words.

And while we are on the topic of shoes, since when is it not OK among some youngsters to wear shoes? I have observed some teens and tweens who seem to be so in love with their UGGS or other boots that they wear them until it is crocs weather, skipping the shoe stage entirely! This trend is helped along by the “perforated boot” proliferation. Can someone please explain this to me? A boot with holes does not keep out the cold or rain. So you really might as well wear a shoe. But your MOTHER and GRANDMOTHER wore shoes in the fall and spring, so that is just SOOO old. By wearing a cute bootie with small holes all over, you are showing that you are just so with it. Of course, then you can’t wear them in the summer really, because by then you would be too hot. You will need other shoes or sandals for then. And then you will have to put your perforated booties away in your closet, where they take up more space than shoes. I guess your closet is bigger than mine. When spring finally gets here, then I can clean it out. Signing off,
FashionIma

Frumwithallergies

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 9:56 pm
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

gande

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 11:05 pm
Thanks for the laugh! You have an amazing writing style.

On contrary, I was by an event and all the woman were wearing dark-colored winter sweaters. I wore a light blue sweater. At least I was dressed for the weather and the season.

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 11:27 pm
We had one warmer day that was cold in the morning but warmed up about 65-70 at 3:00 and ds complained he was the only one not wearing shorts. I saw a baby looking half frozen because she was dresses in Sandals and short sleeve outfit

isrmss91

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 11:33 pm
I never got the idea of boots with open toes??!! Why??!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics