Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
School I Taught in Owes me $$$$
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 2:49 am
A few years back I got a job as a bookkeeper for a school like the one you are describing (I'm not sure if it means it is the same school, or there are lots of them out there doing the same stuff)

When I got the job I was an enthusiastic BT. By the time I quit 6 weeks later, I wasn't. Seeing what went on totally tarnished my whole image of the Jewish community. I never got that BT innocence back, and guess what, I didn't get my paycheck either

Guess how much they paid in bounced check fees from issuing rubber checks that they knew wouldn't clear just to get teachers off their backs

goforit

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 6:29 am
amother wrote:
How do you go about doing that?

You look up any beth din in your area and tell them the info and they send them the summons. They have no case because you have a contract. They will be embarssed to come to a din torah and look like fools in front of the Dayens.

If you are in brooklyn you can pm me.

watergirl

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 6:38 am
goforit wrote:
You look up any beth din in your area and tell them the info and they send them the summons. They have no case because you have a contract. They will be embarssed to come to a din torah and look like fools in front of the Dayens.

If you are in brooklyn you can pm me.

Its not so simple. If they legitimately dont have the funds to pay, they will go to bd and show that they cant pay. Bd wont pasken that they have to pay you what they cant afford to pay. OR, they will go to bd, knowing that they will be ordered to pay, and simply continue not to pay. Happens all the time. Bd cant force them legally. If the school cared about the halachic requirement to pay, OP never would have had this issue.

A heter to take them to civil court will work...

mom39

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 8:26 am
I just don't get it!! If I wanted to volunteer I'd go to a hospital!!

My friend worked in a school that owed her a lot of money. At the end of the year, they said they were going to pay her bec they were determined to pay all teachers that were coming back next year. Can you imagine? If a staff member didn't come back next year, they weren't paying her what was owed from last year!! At the end, she got a job in another school but didn't want to tell them bec she was scared she wouldn't get paid.
Eventually, throughout the summer she got most of her pay, and then she told them she got another job. They threatened to take HER to din torah bec they said she KNEW she was only getting paid if she was coming back!!!!! She said go right ahead. Of course they never took her to din torah and bh she got most of her pay (they still owed her a little)
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics