Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Did you read this secular Jewish young adult novel?

daagahminayin

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 7:25 pm
I wish I could remember what it’s called.

I read it in the late 90s, it’s a coming of age book about a girl (maybe her name was Miri?) who was less favored by her parents than her pious younger brother (maybe called Moshe?).

The girl grows older, develops a crush on her best friend, struggles with being overweight. At some point her brother who might have OCD or something drowns when he goes to toivel in the sea. Miri gets older, finds herself, becomes less religious and decides to be a writer.

Just writing out the synopsis I see that it’s a pretty depressing book - oh well, I enjoyed it as a non-frum teen. If you have any leads about what it’s called please let me know!

simcha2

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 8:32 pm
It's called Miriam. Can't remember who it's by. There's a weird thing with colored candy wrappers if I remember correctly.

daagahminayin

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 11:20 pm
Omg so happy to found someone who read it. Yes I actually thought it was called Miriam, but it was impossible to search for - I just got loads of results for books about the biblical Miriam. Thanks for replying, Simba.

simcha2

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 7:03 am
there is actually a copy at my parent's house. If you can wait a couple of weeks I can tell you the author.

daagahminayin

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 8:52 am
simcha2 wrote:
there is actually a copy at my parent's house. If you can wait a couple of weeks I can tell you the author.

Sure, why not! But only if you remember - no pressure whatsoever since it’s not something I actually “need” to know. Thank you.

simcha2

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 8:59 am
daagahminayin wrote:
Sure, why not! But only if you remember - no pressure whatsoever since it’s not something I actually “need” to know. Thank you.

No problem. I don't live in the same place country my parents so will ask my mother to look, but they are on vacation at the moment.

Shoshie

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 9:01 am
The author is Iris Rosofsky.

daagahminayin

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 9:05 am
Shoshie wrote:

Thank you!

simcha2

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 9:12 am
Shoshie wrote:

That's it! Thanks.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room