Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Help, Contractor made mistake in kitchen cabinets

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 5:03 am
He made all my upper cabinets 11", internal depth, instead of 121/2.
Is this ok?
I know I specifically told him I wanted between 12 and 121/2.
Is an inch difference that big of a deal.
DH says leave it.
DD says too deep ends up very cluttered.
Contractor says:
A. That's the measurement of standard cabinets.
Not really true, because in my current home they are 12"
B. Since it's a galley kitchen it would look too closed up.

I do have other storage for larger items.

Also, since he's one of our congregants, DH is the rav, DH doesn't want him to incur the cost. It's about 10 top cabinets. He's practically giving us everything at cost.
And the job is taking too long as it is, and we want to move in already.

So I guess basically my question is how do I make the most of these cabinets? Is it really better like everyone else is saying? Is it really not such a big deal?

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 5:06 am
If he is giving you everything at cost I would not make a big deal .

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 5:15 am
He is because it's a shul home.
In othwards the shul is paying for it and he's doing it as
A. A donation to the shul.
B. Because he loves DH.

Is this something that at the end will be ok, or am I going to end up not being able to fit much.

I do have enough storage, but it's at the end of a long galley kitchen.
That means that my platters won't be directly above my work station.

Will I be so unhappy with this set up that in a year or two I'll have to rip them down and ask another company to re- build of course at my cost.
Or is it truly better like DD says.

simcha2

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 5:26 am
I just measured the internal depth of my upper cabinets (standard yorktowne, they're 11 inches).

Fine for fitting stuff.

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 5:29 am
simcha2 wrote:
I just measured the internal depth of my upper cabinets (standard yorktowne, they're 11 inches).

Fine for fitting stuff.

Thanks I appreciate you measuring
Hug

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 5:31 am
That is considered standard by most companies. If you measure the outside it will be 12”.

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 5:43 am
Platters often will not fit in a standard wall cabinet.

In general, wall cabinets are 12" deep front to back including the face frame if using framed construction. The door adds an additional 3/4" to the total depth.

The back wall will reduce the usable interior depth. The back wall of a framed cabinet is often set in from the back of the cabinet. Frameless cabinets often have a double back wall. So you're left with between a little less than 11" up to about 11.5" usable interior depth and this number will vary by how an individual company constructs their cabinets.

Regarding platter storage: Could you create vertical storage in a base cabinet or in the deep cabinet above the fridge?

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 5:57 am
Rubber Ducky wrote:
Platters often will not fit in a standard wall cabinet.

In general, wall cabinets are 12" deep front to back including the face frame if using framed construction. The door adds an additional 3/4" to the total depth.

The back wall will reduce the usable interior depth. The back wall of a framed cabinet is often set in from the back of the cabinet. Frameless cabinets often have a double back wall. So you're left with between a little less than 11" up to about 11.5" usable interior depth and this number will vary by how an individual company constructs their cabinets.

Regarding platter storage: Could you create vertical storage in a base cabinet or in the deep cabinet above the fridge?

Yes I have this.
I have 3 24" width, 24” depth, floor to ceiling pantries, the 4 bottom shelves pull out.
2 can pull outs floor to ceiling.
Also I have storage over the fridge, and over and under the ovens.
Then I have a built in buffet in the dining room for Shabbat dishes.
Plus a whole other area with 3 pantries for Pesach in an enclosed room.

I know I need to be grateful I have tons of storage.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 6:06 am
Mine are 11" inside. They hold salad bowls, dinner plates and everything I need access to on a daily basis. Really large round platters need to go in the corner cabinets which are very deep (and harder to reach).
While deeper is probably better, I love my cabinets. They offer great storage and everything stays neat.

mom39

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 6:38 am
Check out how much you are saving by him giving it to you at cost - then you surely won't complain

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 6:47 am
mom39 wrote:
Check out how much you are saving by him giving it to you at cost - then you surely won't complain

And on top of that we're not paying for it, the shul is.

Really Awesome MOM
Thanks for measuring. I know you're a great cook, so if it's convenient for you, then I know I'm worrying for nothing

Rubber Ducky-
I know you design kitchens. If you say it's good, I trust your imput.

It was just that, he told me he's making the cabinets custom to my needs.
He just doesn't remember (back in October) that I said I wanted interior 12-121/. But I guess it's ok for it to be 11.

Mevater

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 7:08 am
I know someone who says the more shallow cabinets are one of her biggest regrets with her new kitchen. She used to have slightly deeper cabinets and loved them.

Is the contractor able to return these cabinets, and youd pay whatever the difference is?

If not, and you dont have the depth measurement in writing, it was an honest mistake and Id leave it alone.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 7:20 am
I double checked and mine are actually just 10.5". I love them (we have many cabinets and there's a designated place for everything). You'll do fine OP!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics