Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
How long to take for maternity leave?

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 6:13 am
I'm pregnant with my first (after years of waiting) and would love nothing more but to become a stay-at-home mum. However financially that is not doable at the moment. My options (financially feasible ones) are to either return when the baby is 6 months old or a bit less and work part-time (with the option of going full-time later and full maternity pay with PG the next pregnancy) or to become self-employed for a while without this security but potentially more time with baby (but also significantly more stress and no job security or further maternity pay). Any advice on this? What did you all do?

happy mommy6

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 6:21 am
I had 6 weeks! For my last, I had csec do I took 8 weeks. So 6 months, and working part time sound great! Many mothers enjoy getting out a little, and gives some structure to your day, and you get some socialization.
I

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 6:27 am
You never know what kind of mother you’ll be.
Now you could only imagine staying home all day with your bundle of joy.
But it’s possible after a few months you way wanna get out a bit.
Possibly not.
But no way to know now.
Either way 6 months sounds ideal an definitely not too early.
When people go back to work after 6-8 weeks. I honestly dont know how they do it.
Im not judging- G-D forbid!
I just could only imagine how hard it is in so many different areas.

pesek zman

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 6:29 am
4 months was perfect for me. I had about 3 months of paid time accrued, and by 4 months I was ready to rejoin civilization

ggdm

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 8:33 am
I think 6 months and then part-time sounds perfect. After 6 months things should be calm and you may want to get adult interactions again. You will not have been away from your job for such a long time that everything has changed and it is hard to go back. How much hours is part-time? Do you have flexibility to decide at the point when you come back or do you need to fix it before you go? Will it be the same job?

I wouldn't give up the security you have if I didn't have to. You can still go self-employed later if you see it is not working out.

Bsha'ah tova!

saralem

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 10:04 am
I stayed home about 6 months. Unfortunately I had to return full time. If you have the parttime option, that sounds really good.

SuperWify

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 10:04 am
amother wrote:
I'm pregnant with my first (after years of waiting) and would love nothing more but to become a stay-at-home mum. However financially that is not doable at the moment. My options (financially feasible ones) are to either return when the baby is 6 months old or a bit less and work part-time (with the option of going full-time later and full maternity pay with PG the next pregnancy) or to become self-employed for a while without this security but potentially more time with baby (but also significantly more stress and no job security or further maternity pay). Any advice on this? What did you all do?

B’shaah Tovah!

I think six months after a baby is very nice. Most woman in the US get only 6 weeks which is ridiculous IMHO.
I took 6 months and it was perfect. I nursed for six months as well so it really worked out.

By the time he was six months I felt ready- very ready at that point!- to go back and confident enough to send him to a babysitter, as he wasn’t a newborn anymore.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 10:33 am
amother wrote:

B'shaa tova

I certainly wouldn't want the stress of trying to be self-employed with a new baby, including juggling childcare and work responsibilities if the hours aren't completely set. And the option of 6-months leave, plus part time, sounds heavenly. Go for it. If it doesn't work out, you can always quit at that point.

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 11:25 am
B'shaa tova

I took 6 weeks after an unplanned csection
Im an attorney

mha3484

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 11:33 am
I was not working when my middle child was born and by the time he was 10 weeks I was starting to get a little antsy and ready to get out of my house. With my most recent birth, I took a very gradual leave because I work for a tiny company that has no commute and we rely heavily on my paycheck. I took off two full weeks limited contact, I worked from my couch for two weeks, I worked half days in the office and then I went back full time. My situation worked for me because I have easy births and chilled babies and I can take breaks during the day to nurse. If I did not have those things I would have make different choices.

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 11:30 pm
OP here. That's really interesting how so many of you say that at some point you wanted to go back to work. That makes me feel a lot better about making the choice (now all I can think of is how much I just want my baby to be here already and spend all my time with him). I guess it's about a balance and you can be a better mum if you also have outside interests. It's just that you so often hear about how bad it is for a child if their mum is not there all the time and I have this guilt complex about that.

How did you all cope with that if you had that issue?

My job is actually really good in terms of maternity in comparison to many others, in that it will be the same job I did before and it's pretty flexible: I can choose between 40% to 80% of my previous hours and I can start between 8am and 10am whenever suits me as long as I do the same amount of hours (so that works for nursery opening times too). I just still wasn't sure if that was good enough for the baby but you have reassured me! Thank you!!

ggdm

Post Wed, Mar 20 2019, 9:53 am
amother wrote:
OP here. That's really interesting how so many of you say that at some point you wanted to go back to work. That makes me feel a lot better about making the choice (now all I can think of is how much I just want my baby to be here already and spend all my time with him). I guess it's about a balance and you can be a better mum if you also have outside interests. It's just that you so often hear about how bad it is for a child if their mum is not there all the time and I have this guilt complex about that.

How did you all cope with that if you had that issue?

My job is actually really good in terms of maternity in comparison to many others, in that it will be the same job I did before and it's pretty flexible: I can choose between 40% to 80% of my previous hours and I can start between 8am and 10am whenever suits me as long as I do the same amount of hours (so that works for nursery opening times too). I just still wasn't sure if that was good enough for the baby but you have reassured me! Thank you!!

I assume baby is there and your six months are up. What did you end up doing and how was it?

forgetit

Post Wed, Mar 20 2019, 10:00 am
I have my own business so I couldn't really take off, however, I did scale back a LOT for a couple of weeks. HOWEVER, I was able to do all of my work from home and be there to nurse my baby. I wouldn't want to push you to go back before 6 months if you don't feel ready for it, but in your position I would consider doing something remote if I could an so that I 'stay in the loop'. I'm not sure what type of job you have but plenty happens in many jobs in the span of 6 months and you might have a very hard time getting back into things.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics