Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Is this a problem at age 4.5

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 8:17 pm
I noticed my kindergarten son hold all coloring and writing tools with all his fingers I'm surprised because he is learning to make circles and the teacher has him copy his aleph beis letters. He is born the end of October so he's one of the youngest in his class. he picked up on writing ABC too and now all his papers have an ABC too and they are written very nice. I try showing him the correct way but he is not interested. Is it normal or can it develops to a bad habbit?

octopus

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 9:01 pm
It's certainly hard to write neatly using a barrel grasp. That's considered a very immature way to hold a writing apparatus. You want him to use a tripod grasp. I'm not an OT, but I'm not really sure what to tell you if he resists being corrected. How is he doing otherwise besides this?

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 9:10 pm
You can have him use broken crayons or short pencils to help encourage the proper grasp, because he won't be able to hold those using a fisted grasp.

Also, other activities which force him to use his thumb and pointer finger can help strengthen those muscles and grasp patterns. Some examples include beading, lacing, using small pegs, activities with clothespins, using tweezers or tongs to pick up small items, placing coins or other small objects into a slot etc.

Another trick is to have your son hold a small item such as a cotton ball, Pom pom, or a small crumpled paper with a "secret message" in his ring and pinky finger while writing/coloring. This forces him to use the correct fingers to hold the pencil/crayon.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers