Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Sleepaway camp

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 9:42 pm
11 1/2 yr ds is begging to go to sleep away camp, many of hisbfriends are going but many are staying home. He really wants to go but he occasionally wets his bed. Went from a couple of years almost every night to burech Hashem about once or twice every 2 weeks. Every time he brings up the camp subject I tell him we will see or I didn't get a chance to discuss it with dh..
Any ideas how to go about this in a very sensitive way without hurting his feeling. He is extremely self conscious about it when ut happens.. There is no way he can take along pullups and it should stay a secret no matter how discreet he will try to be..
Please guide me how to tell him he isnt ready yet without making him feel that he is immature.. (he is bh very mature)
Thanks.

forever21

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 9:49 pm
Why can’t you be up front about it and let him know your concerned about the bed wetting issue ?? If he’s anxious About it but still wants to go then you can discuss it together and how he would feel if it happened in camp and how best to handle it .

It would be a shame not to let him have that camp experience bec of his bed wetting .

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 10:09 pm
I was a counselor of 2 kids who bed wet. One set of parents let me know beforehand, and took steps to help their child. The kid wore pull ups and threw them away discreetly. We took care of bed linen once without the other campers knowing.
The other kid came to camp without letting anyone know her situation. She wet her bed and slept on dirty sheets. Her bed stunk and we had to spray it with febreeze all the time. The other kids figured it out and were so grossed out by her.

I think as a parent you should let him know your concerns, but still offer a way to help him go. Let the camp know the issue, they usually have staff washing machines on premises and let kids use them for bedwetting. If he has a way to discreetly clean and change his linen when necessary, it wont be such a big issue.

amother
Orchid

Post Fri, Apr 20 2018, 12:18 am
My brother had a bed wetting issue and the pediatrician prescribed a nasal spray that he used every night and he didn’t wet his bed. This is about 15 years ago. ask your pediatrician about it

amother
cornflower

Post Fri, Apr 20 2018, 8:37 am
My son was a bedwetter until a few weeks ago. The change was doing a simple exercise. During the day, every time he goes to the bathroom he should pee for 3 seconds, stop, pee for 3 seconds, stop and keep repeating. It exercises the muscles to make them stronger. I couldn't believe what a difference it made.

amother
Linen

Post Fri, Apr 20 2018, 4:06 pm
I appreciate the advice and ideas and will take all in consideration.
Thankss all for replying.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics