Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Stopping bedtime bottles

amother
Black

Post Sat, Apr 21 2018, 10:45 pm
My 3 year old has tons of cavities. Time to stop bottles! It's so hard he only falls asleep at 9 pm when exhausted!! Any tips

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sat, Apr 21 2018, 11:21 pm
It was time to stop bottles with anything other than water 2 years ago... moving forward - start dilluting whatever is in that bottle with water more and more each night until bottle (perhaps time to switch to a cup) has only water in it.

amother
Smokey

Post Sat, Apr 21 2018, 11:23 pm
Sippy cups and water only.

Also, juice isn't great for you at all.
We have juice on special occasions. Shabbos, yom tov, rosh chodesh, guests, when totty has a day off (no kidding).....

Try switching over to water first then sippy cups. Sippy cups they don't keep in their mouth too long only when they need a little drink.
My kids are 3 and 4.5, they have a sippy cup with water next to their beds, if they wake up thirsty in middle of the night they can take a dip themselves and go back to sleep.

pesek zman

Post Sat, Apr 21 2018, 11:38 pm
Why is he falling asleep so late? Is he napping during the day? If so, time to stop the naps (and the bottles but that goes without saying)

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Apr 22 2018, 12:07 am
I had this. Nursed my child to sleep until age 3.5. It was time to stop, but I couldn't because she had no bedtime routine without it, and had no idea how to fall asleep. I really wanted to keep bedtime a snuggle time, but I realized that was not working. She needed to learn to go to sleep on her own. It took me being very consistent and strict with a new bedtime routine, combined with a few little prizes thrown in. She needed to be taught the hard way how to fall asleep. And it had to be done at a time when I didn't have a lot of pressure in the evenings.

Some sleep training tips: if your child is running out of bed, keep bringing her back, calmly but firmly, and not giving her any attention. Eventually she will realize there is no point in coming out. Leave the room, and refuse to interact, but tell her you'll come back in five minutes. When you come back after five minutes, you can hug and kiss and praise her for staying in bed. Eventually I switched to coming back only after she's *quiet* for five minutes. If I can get her to be quiet for five minutes she often falls asleep. Also, sometimes I put on soft music to help her fall asleep. And when she keeps calling and asking me for things I tell her, "no more talking, no more needing things, it's sleep time now." It took about a week of being consistent, but she got it.

amother
White

Post Sun, Apr 22 2018, 12:28 am
My kids didn’t nurse or use pacifiers. They were very attached to their bottles and once they were around 3 I only let them have a bottle to go to sleep. They didn’t fall asleep with bottles in their mouths, they drank, relaxed and fell asleep. Bottles only had milk or water. I never felt the need to force them to stop. As they matured they each did it on their own... usually at around 4 yrs old. I’m sure if you help your child brush his teeth well and only offer milk or water in a nighttime bottle he won’t get cavities. Do take care of your child’s teeth but don’t force your child to give up a nighttime bottle. They do that on their own. (Some of my kids don’t even have cavities- yrs after bottles!)

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Apr 22 2018, 1:29 am
Why does any child ever need to go to bed with a bottle? Our pediatrician and dentist both made it quite clear that this was never, ever something that should be done. Ever!

None of my kids ever had a bottle in bed, or even a sippy cup. Bedtime with a paci, and that's it.

Those are the bedtime rules, and if you enforce them from day one, they will work. Otherwise you are just setting you and your children up for lots of misery.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Apr 22 2018, 1:35 am
amother wrote:
Why does any child ever need to go to bed with a bottle? Our pediatrician and dentist both made it quite clear that this was never, ever something that should be done. Ever!

None of my kids ever had a bottle in bed, or even a sippy cup. Bedtime with a paci, and that's it.

Those are the bedtime rules, and if you enforce them from day one, they will work. Otherwise you are just setting you and your children up for lots of misery.

Right and my pediatrician made it quite clear that paci was a no-no.

Bottle to sleep works for many children - with no consequences. We get choice in this parenting game.

amother
White

Post Sun, Apr 22 2018, 7:48 am
[quote="amother"]Why does any child ever need to go to bed with a bottle? Our pediatrician and dentist both made it quite clear that this was never, ever something that should be done. Ever!

Your kids have have pacifiers??? No way... pacis never here! I think it looks so babyish when 3 yr olds walk around with pacifiers!! We love bottles at bedtime only. I think think the bottle concern is that kids shouldn’t fall asleep with bottles in their mouths, causing cavities. My kids first of only drank milk or water in their bottles and never fell asleep with a bottle in mouth. We are really anti pacis here, germy, sucking all night bad for teeth, immature looking when past 2. Yes, my kids will take a drink from their bottles, when they’re done drinking, they’re done! No cavities, bad teeth, or speech issues here.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics