Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Please share what u serve for dessert on shabbos.
Previous  1  2

Post Fri, Apr 20 2018, 4:12 pm
Do they have to be mixed with the whip or just under it & how many cookies do you have to use?

icebreaker

Post Fri, Apr 20 2018, 6:08 pm
Maryann wrote:
Ice breaker what's your chocolate mousse recipe?

I use Julia Child’s recipe. There also a video of her making it on YouTube which I watch as well Very Happy

6 ounces (170g) bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
6 ounces (170g) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1/4 cup (60ml) dark-brewed coffee
4 large eggs, separated
2/3 cup (170g) plus 1 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons (30ml) dark rum
1 tablespoon (15ml) water
pinch of salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1. In a medium to large bowl set over a saucepan of barely simmering water, melt together the chocolate, butter and coffee, stirring until smooth. Remove the bowl from the heat and let sit until tepid.
2. Fill a large bowl with ice water and set aside.
3. In another medium bowl set over the simmering water, whisk the yolks of the eggs with the 2/3 cup of sugar, rum, and water for about 3 minutes until the mixture is thick, like runny mayonnaise. (You can also use a handheld electric mixer.)
4. Remove the bowl from heat and place the bowl of whipped egg yolks in the bowl of ice water. Beat gently until cool and thick. Remove the bowl from the ice, and fold the chocolate mixture into the egg yolks.
5. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites with the salt until frothy. Continue to beat until they start to hold their shape. Whip in the 1 tablespoon of sugar and continue to beat until thick and shiny, but not completely stiff, then add the vanilla.
6. Fold one-third of the beaten egg whites into the chocolate mixture, then fold in the remainder of the whites just until incorporated, but don’t overdo it or the mousse will lose volume.
7. Transfer the mousse to a serving bowl or divide into 6 or 8 serving dishes, and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, until firm.

amother
Sienna

Post Fri, Apr 20 2018, 6:46 pm
It depends. When we have no company I serve a fruit crisp made with oatmeal, very not sweet. Once in a while, when we need chocolate, we have brownies or blondies. If we just finished a fattening 8 day yom tov, we might have a fruit platter instead, but a really super deluxe one so we don't feel deprived. (That was last week.) Smile When we have company I make a cake or pie (plus fresh fruit). This week we're having a glazed lemon poppyseed cake with fresh blueberries and raspberries on the side.

Moonlight

Post Sat, Apr 21 2018, 10:54 pm
Wow fancy ladies here. I usually do a cake and if not we do parve ice cream.

all is good

Post Sun, Apr 22 2018, 1:01 am
1525 wrote:
Do they have to be mixed with the whip or just under it & how many cookies do you have to use?

No mixing, the whip topping is liquid so it just pours all over and around the cookies...I dunno exactly how many cookies, I just eye it. Maybe start w/ one row of cookies & if u see it cld use more (as in it looks empty & mostly whip) then crush up some more!

DrMom

Post Sun, Apr 22 2018, 1:43 am
We almost never have dessert, except maybe fruit if there was something exceptionally nice at the market.

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Apr 22 2018, 1:49 am
1525 wrote:

13 cookies

Iymnok

Post Sun, Apr 22 2018, 8:01 am
Brownies (sometimes carob)
Blondes
Babka
Cinnamon rolls
Ices
Melon
Fruit salad
Cookies

simba

Post Sun, Apr 22 2018, 8:04 am
Tea, chocolate mints, fresh fruit and something baked.
I offer tea around the table, put out a bowl of some chocolates and nuts. A fruit bowl with knives ( I buy really nice fruit for Shabbos) and then some bundt cake (ideally rum) or an easy ice cream pie etc...

Frumwithallergies

Post Sun, Apr 22 2018, 8:12 am
Confetti cake with vanilla icing (my girls made it) from KbD Kids in the kitchen, brownies, large fruit platter, and some regular homemade chocolate cake-----non brownie so that my child with orthodontics could eat something too Smile

myself

Post Sun, Apr 22 2018, 8:40 am
Iymnok wrote:
Brownies (sometimes carob)
Blondes
Babka
Cinnamon rolls
Ices
Melon
Fruit salad
Cookies

Can you share your carob recipe please?

zigi

Post Sun, Apr 22 2018, 8:45 am
Shabbos candy and then on a longer Shabbos. fruit and tea party. summer shabbosim Shabbos ices popsicles etc

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Apr 22 2018, 9:28 pm
1. chocolate tofutti or vanilla trader joes over brownies (duncan hines)
2. fruit salad with mandarin orange syrup
3. (fancy) chocolate mousse pie
4. Lemon curd with cake layered in trifle
5. compote
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note