Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
My highly gifted brilliant 17 yo ds says Gemara is boring
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Apr 22 2018, 11:48 am
He is praised by all his teachers as a complete genius. Very intellectual and interested in all topics from physics history literature computer science philosophy etc. very friendly and liked by all. he is not interested in Gemara he told me the less smart boys find it challenging but to him it’s very boring and the only challenge is the translation. Once you know all the hebrew and Aramaic words it is extremely boring. I’m a bt but I always thought Gemara is very challenging and inspiring. Can someone explain what is going on? He is not interested in going to Yeshiva before college even for a year. He told me he can’t take a year of boredom.

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Apr 22 2018, 11:50 am
You need to switch him to a better yeshivah.

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Apr 22 2018, 11:52 am
What level is his current Yeshiva? Mommyg8 is right, there are some extremely challenging yeshivas it there.

naturalmom5

Post Sun, Apr 22 2018, 11:53 am
Send him these shiurim ..

My husband is just like your son and loves them

www.shasilluminated.com

Purple2

Post Sun, Apr 22 2018, 12:02 pm
I have some gifted children too. Send him to a challenging Yeshiva. I’m sure it will be a humbling experience.

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Apr 22 2018, 12:06 pm
Op here. We live oot. Pretty big community. He went to the biggest best Yeshiva here.

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Apr 22 2018, 12:10 pm
That's what I thought. Do some research, and find a yeshiva that would be a better fit. Probably in the tri-state area.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Apr 22 2018, 12:11 pm
amother wrote:
Op here. We live oot. Pretty big community. He went to the biggest best Yeshiva here.

You may need to send him to dorm elsewhere in a different town.

esuss

Post Sun, Apr 22 2018, 12:12 pm
It seems to me that his yeshiva is teaching gemoro bekius only - the literal meaning of the gemoro. If he is able to delve into the meforshim and learn with the Brisker style he will find it very challenging. It may not be available in his town but maybe his rebbe could teach that way to him privately. Or switch to a different rebbe who teaches that method.

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Apr 22 2018, 12:14 pm
Interesting. I hear my husband learning with my high school son. They are talking about if Reuvein's ox gores Shimon's cow 3 times, what happens to Reuvein's ox? Honestly, it does sound pretty boring, but they seem into it so I guess I don't understand something.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Apr 22 2018, 12:31 pm
That is the first thing that’s learned. Since there’s a limit, they likely gear the teaching to the average. At his age, he could go to many different places. Each with a different mehalech, a different derech halimud.

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Apr 22 2018, 12:38 pm
amother wrote:
Interesting. I hear my husband learning with my high school son. They are talking about if Reuvein's ox gores Shimon's cow 3 times, what happens to Reuvein's ox? Honestly, it does sound pretty boring, but they seem into it so I guess I don't understand something.

Op here. Exactly what ds told me.

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Apr 22 2018, 12:40 pm
OP, are you familiar with Chofetz Chaim? They have a different way of learning, specifically because they go very much in depth.

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Apr 22 2018, 12:40 pm
Op here.
His rebbe lets him skip class. Ds goes over a week of class quickly and gets his A+ on the test and also explains the Gemara to his classmates....

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Apr 22 2018, 12:41 pm
amother wrote:

This is an example of the olden days. But rebbes in teaching bring the Gemara to life by bringing examples of today, with the same situation to make it more relatable and interesting. That's what I hear when my DH learns with the kids.

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Apr 22 2018, 12:41 pm
amother wrote:
OP, are you familiar with Chofetz Chaim? They have a different way of learning, specifically because they go very much in depth.

Op here. I asked ds about that before. Ds told me there is not much depth to it. It is just translating and going over the arguments which are obvious

DrMom

Post Sun, Apr 22 2018, 12:42 pm
Maybe he just doesn't like gemara.

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Apr 22 2018, 12:46 pm
Kids grow into abstract reasoning at different ages. Perhaps the other students in his class are still working in the mechanics of learning (reading, translation etc) and your son is ready for more than just a surface understanding. If so, he might benefit from online shiurim. Try the Virtual Beit Midrash.

However, bright kids often don't have the patience to master basic skills because they have moved on to abstract reasoning. Don't give in entirely to the temptation. Insist that he lay down a foundation even while moving to more abstract material. It's a big mistake to let a child dive into intellectual acrobatics before he's built the safety net.

mfb

Post Sun, Apr 22 2018, 12:48 pm
He might do better in a yeshiva that covers a lot of material not so deeply. A yeshiva that delves into each possuk for to long may be what's boring him.
There are yeshivos that aim to cover many blatt quickly...
Or maybe he wants to find a chavrusah in his yeshiva to learn daf yomi with, so he covers more..

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Apr 22 2018, 12:54 pm
mfb wrote:
He might do better in a yeshiva that covers a lot of material not so deeply. A yeshiva that delves into each possuk for to long may be what's boring him.
There are yeshivos that aim to cover many blatt quickly...
Or maybe he wants to find a chavrusah in his yeshiva to learn daf yomi with, so he covers more..

Op here. This is the problem he doesn’t want to cover more quickly because it doesn’t solve the problem. He claims that it is boring and not inspiring or stimulating in any way.
Page 1 of 8   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics