Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
Potty training help - toddler using it to delay bedtime argh

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Apr 23 2018, 10:52 pm
Hoping for support and ideas on how to cope. My 2 year old is potty training, and is intermittently using the potty and not the diaper/pullup. But come bedtime, she wants to sit on the potty and never come off. For hours after bedtime she wails that she needs the potty. This is keeping the other kids up past their bedtimes, disruptive, frustrating. I thought of cutting off fluid earlier, but it's difficult with her nap schedule, and I don't think she really has to go.

I do wonder if she is using it to delay bedtime, because for the most part she sits on the potty and nothing happens (this is atypical for her, as during the day when she sits on the potty she goes right away).

Any ideas would be appreciated.

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Apr 23 2018, 10:58 pm
We have a rule. After bedtime you get to go ONCE (see if you need to use a 30-60 second timer) and then you have to wait for morning to go again.
Works great for us.
Yes when doing this make sure to cut most fluids 2 hours before bedtime (an ounce of milk before bed is fine)

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Apr 23 2018, 11:06 pm
amother wrote:
We have a rule. After bedtime you get to go ONCE (see if you need to use a 30-60 second timer) and then you have to wait for morning to go again.
Works great for us.
Yes when doing this make sure to cut most fluids 2 hours before bedtime (an ounce of milk before bed is fine)

Thank you, love the rule and timer idea. Definitely am working on a way to cut most fluids before bedtime.

seeker

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 1:30 am
How long has this been going on?

Toddlers can get obsessed with the things that they're into.

What would happen if you just let her sit there and basically ignore her there until she decides she's had enough? Will she give up? Will it take all night? Ever tried it? You never know... alternative to fighting a toddler...

If she's almost completely trained I wouldn't do this, but if she's still switching between potty and diaper then maybe just draw the line at bedtime - when you get into pajamas, you put on a diaper, and that's that until morning.

You can make goodnight potty part of your bedtime routine. She sits on the potty while you read a book and when the book is over you say goodnight potty and that is that.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 2:35 am
LOL

She sounds really smart!

You've got some great suggestions here. Staying one step ahead of a clever toddler is a full time job. Good luck.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training