Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Why is so much of adult literature awful?
Previous  1  2  3

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 3:37 pm
amother wrote:
They're formulaic, a la the old After School Specials, with a "shocking ending" just to shock.

That said, they can be fun light reads if you haven't read one in a while.

A lot of books are like that. It is said authors have only one story to tell. Often you can predict where they are going after one or two books. I find that some authors dumb down as they are more successful. They need to pump out their books.

princessleah

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 8:43 pm
I’m in the middle of the Neapolitan series by Elena Ferrante. It’s not super super highbrow, but it’s been very interesting and the whole thing is about a female friendship— that’s the main relationship of the books which is kind of unusual.
For those who were asking, there’s an app called “overdrive.” You can download it and then link from it to your local library— provided you have a library card, you can download ebooks and audio books for free through the library.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 10:01 pm
DrMom wrote:
His #1 Ladies Detective Club books are fun! Fast-paced, breezy, great for a quick read.

Yes, Alexander. He's written a few dozen other books, mostly in other series with a few stand alones.

saw50st8

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 7:15 am
I love Pat Conroy books. My favorites are Prince of Tides and Beach Music but they are all good.

imasoftov

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 8:16 am
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.....s_law
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room