Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
S/o which prophecies did you see come true?
Previous  1  2

salt

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 1:45 am
etky wrote:
I couldn't help marvelling at the fact that 3000 years later - we, the Jews, are still around, living and thriving in this same strip of land, and even in this city of Ashdod that was a main Philistine stronghold in biblical times while they, despite their advanced, cosmopolitan civilization and political organization, are long gone and largely forgotten

Same feeling I get when I see this ancient statue of some Greek king's head, I forget who, sitting in the Israel museum.

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 2:06 am
salt wrote:
Same feeling I get when I see this ancient statue of some Greek king's head, I forget who, sitting in the Israel museum.

It's the Roman emperor Hadrian.

salt

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 3:09 am
amother wrote:
It's the Roman emperor Hadrian.

thanks Smile

imasoftov

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 7:57 am
etky wrote:
Unlike many prophecies in other nevi'im, there's actually nothing cryptic in this particular depiction that needs interpreting with codes or crossword puzzles.
No, the mountains in Israel are not actually flowing with wine and the hills are not melting.
Nor are the harvests and planting seasons intermingling (although I think that if discussing different types of crops that could theoretically be the case).
Nor did G-d literally 'plant' us, like vegetables, in the soil of the Land.
The meaning, minus the poetic embellishment, is pretty clear: agricultural abundance and all over prosperity in a newly-fertile and rebuilt land and, most importantly, the restoration of the Jewish people to their land. This, b"h is happening now before our eyes.
As to the last part of the verse that ends the book: "they shall no more be plucked up out of their land which I have given them" we have no assurances. Hopefully we will be zocheh for this too.

Your last part is my bigger problem with the looney bloggers - they think they have those assurances.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 9:31 am
etky wrote:
Unlike many prophecies in other nevi'im, there's actually nothing cryptic in this particular depiction that needs interpreting with codes or crossword puzzles.
No, the mountains in Israel are not actually flowing with wine and the hills are not melting.
Nor are the harvests and planting seasons intermingling (although I think that if discussing different types of crops that could theoretically be the case).
Nor did G-d literally 'plant' us, like vegetables, in the soil of the Land.
The meaning, minus the poetic embellishment, is pretty clear: agricultural abundance and all over prosperity in a newly-fertile and rebuilt land and, most importantly, the restoration of the Jewish people to their land. This, b"h is happening now before our eyes.
As to the last part of the verse that ends the book: "they shall no more be plucked up out of their land which I have given them" we have no assurances. Hopefully we will be zocheh for this too.

Etky, I'm nearing the bottom of p. 1 and I'm liking, no, loving your posts.
Like Ruchel said, I'm not DL but how can we not see things? And b"H, good things. There is an ingathering. And with technology and transportation advances, we can really connect and find each other. As has been throughout history, when we are in E"Y, we can make the land sing. (Rabbi Frand speaks on this theme, I've seen it in several place, how the Jewish people are the ones who can make Israel flourish on a physical level.)

There is a deep hesitance to say, yes, this is the beginning of the geula (no Hallel last week, with or without a bracha) but an optimistic inclination to see positive fulfillment of nevuos, in stages. Especially after the obvious fulfillment of the tochacha.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 9:34 am
salt wrote:

The Ponovezher Rav, zt"l, was in Rome and he asked to be taken to Titus's Arch. Which was puzzling to his host; since when did the Rav do the tourist attraction thing?
But he looked at it and said, Titus, you think you destroyed us. But where are you and your people and children now? And we, despite all efforts to the contrary over the generations, are here, and alive, and building.
Actually, that's not what he said, but something along those lines.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics