Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Client tries to prosthelytize

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 10:31 pm
What should I say to him. I see him about once per year. Should I just let it go? What should I say to him?

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 10:49 pm
Respect that he is doing what his religion asks of him. tune it out.

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 11:25 pm
amother wrote:
Respect that he is doing what his religion asks of him. tune it out.

Disagree. This is unprofessional and in appropriate.

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 11:32 pm
amother wrote:
Disagree. This is unprofessional and in appropriate.

is her client a professional? For all we know she is visiting his factory store to sell him light-bulbs. Her job isn't to educate him on conduct.

Why risk a relationship over something like this? My answer would be different if OP felt harassed.

Miri7

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 11:39 pm
It depends on your relationship if you can slide in a gentle quip. I think the trick is to be friendly and light and playful. If you can make that kind of comment then you may say “now you know that’s not going to work on me!” Or “my answer hasn’t changed since last time!”

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 11:55 pm
Just smile and say "I'd really like to keep religion and business separate." Repeat until he gets it.

Notsobusy

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 9:16 am
amother wrote:
is her client a professional? For all we know she is visiting his factory store to sell him light-bulbs. Her job isn't to educate him on conduct.

Why risk a relationship over something like this? My answer would be different if OP felt harassed.

I agree. Especially if op only interacts with him once a year. Just ignore and move on.

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 11:38 am
amother wrote:

True. I was really just disagreeing with the poster who said to respect what the person is trying to do. I wouldn't respect someone who tried to convert me while I was acting in a professional role, irrespective of whether that person was a professional or not.

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 12:19 pm
I would make it very very clear that I'm not interested. Even sharp if necessary. I had the same with my client. She didn't stop and I told her I will have to stop doing business with her if it continues.

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 12:31 pm
amother wrote:
True. I was really just disagreeing with the poster who said to respect what the person is trying to do. I wouldn't respect someone who tried to convert me while I was acting in a professional role, irrespective of whether that person was a professional or not.

same poster.

I'll rephrase.

Clients come in all shapes and sizes. When you ask a client to stop doing something that is bothersome to you - then you risk losing the client. In this case the client is living his truth - that's a big thing, its a lot bigger than asking a client not to wear perfume next time you visit because you are sensitive.

the code of conduct that the client needs to adhere to is very different then the one that the person selling to him has.

If this is a once a year visit - IMHO - its not worth the risk of making a thing of it. For all we know this guy truly only wants to do business with people of his faith - and is making an exception here because he's giving OP a chance to 'get on board'.

Given our ability to tune out what we don't want to hear.. to me its not big deal. If it becomes threatening - that's another matter.

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 12:36 pm
amother wrote:
same poster.

I'll rephrase.

Clients come in all shapes and sizes. When you ask a client to stop doing something that is bothersome to you - then you risk losing the client. In this case the client is living his truth - that's a big thing, its a lot bigger than asking a client not to wear perfume next time you visit because you are sensitive.

the code of conduct that the client needs to adhere to is very different then the one that the person selling to him has.

If this is a once a year visit - IMHO - its not worth the risk of making a thing of it. For all we know this guy truly only wants to do business with people of his faith - and is making an exception here because he's giving OP a chance to 'get on board'.

Given our ability to tune out what we don't want to hear.. to me its not big deal. If it becomes threatening - that's another matter.
if it's only once a year why be worried to lose this client.
(Anyway parnasa is from hashem. I wouldn't be scared to lose a client, no matter how a big client he is. But that me...)

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 12:41 pm
amother wrote:
if it's only once a year why be worried to lose this client.
(Anyway parnasa is from hashem. I wouldn't be scared to lose a client, no matter how a big client he is. But that me...)

Neither of us know the relative value of this once a year account to the OP.

jerusalem90

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 3:16 pm
If it were me, I'd tend to be polite because I'd know that they were not trying to harm me, and they wouldn't harm me because I wouldn't be tempted. So no harm done at all, so no reason not to be polite.

It would be different if they were trying to convert children or religiously vulnerable people in the community.

If for some reason I were tempted by their way of life, then I'd distance myself so to stay loyal to HaShem.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics