Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains
Best place to buy everyday dishes
1  2  Next

Lizajen

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 9:34 pm
I realize that I'm wasting so much money by always using paper plates for fleishig during the week. My set from long ago, only has 3 plates left. Where can I find the best priced set that's dishwasher safe? Thanx.

Shoshana37

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 9:44 pm
Amazing savings have beautiful sets if you are in NY

SuperWify

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 9:55 pm
What about Corelle?

Affordable, dishwasher safe and less breakable than regular China if you have little kids. (Though 2 bowls fell out of my hands last week and smashed to smithereens.)

monseymom25

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 9:57 pm
I love my Corelle that I got 16 years ago. I use it for milchigs. It has held up beautifully. You can get it in Walmart or on Amazon.

iluvy

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 10:23 pm
I love my Ikea set

seeker

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 11:26 pm
I like Corelle. I bought it a long time ago so not sure where is currently the best place to buy, but if budget is a concern there are always going to be some patterns cheaper and/or on sale. Had mine for over 8 years now and I only lost a couple of bowls. And one plate but that one didn't just get dropped, someone SMASHED it very dramatically (accidentally. But dramatically. Klutzy story and not reflective of Corelle quality.)

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 12:18 am
seeker wrote:
I like Corelle. I bought it a long time ago so not sure where is currently the best place to buy, but if budget is a concern there are always going to be some patterns cheaper and/or on sale. Had mine for over 8 years now and I only lost a couple of bowls. And one plate but that one didn't just get dropped, someone SMASHED it very dramatically (accidentally. But dramatically. Klutzy story and not reflective of Corelle quality.)

Wayfair has good prices on Corelle. I was helping my friend purchase some for her daughter, and it was much cheaper than the local stores.

Personally, I don't like Corelle. Walmart had some cheap nice stoneware, but it is not as practicable as Corelle. It looked a lot nicer and was better priced.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 2:42 am
Lizajen wrote:
I realize that I'm wasting so much money by always using paper plates for fleishig during the week. My set from long ago, only has 3 plates left. Where can I find the best priced set that's dishwasher safe? Thanx.

OP, regardless what you are buying you are doing a very laudable thing! Applause
Disposable dishes are the most expensive thing, I say that even if you buy fancy Rosenthal plates, they are cheaper in the long run than any disposables.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 3:24 am
We have a nice set of Corelle that was only available online. I don’t like most of the patterns. But they store very compactly and hold up well.

Lizajen

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 6:45 am
Thanx! Service for how many should I buy for?

Woman of Valor

Post Mon, May 14 2018, 4:44 pm
Loooove corelle for weekday, it's durable, pretty, and reasonably/cheaply priced

Raisin

Post Mon, May 14 2018, 4:49 pm
ikea have a really cheap set that is very similar to corelle.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, May 14 2018, 4:59 pm
iluvy wrote:
I love my Ikea set

I like my IKEA set too. I use my IKEA set for Shabbos and my Corelle set for weekday. My Corelle set is 18 yrs old and going strong!

animeme

Post Mon, May 14 2018, 5:04 pm
How do the Ikea sets behave when they break? I find tha Correlle doesn't break so easily, but when they do break, they BREAK. Full on smithereens I am finding for days.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, May 14 2018, 5:24 pm
animeme wrote:
How do the Ikea sets behave when they break? I find tha Correlle doesn't break so easily, but when they do break, they BREAK. Full on smithereens I am finding for days.

Corelle doesn't break easily but it is known to shatter the worst when it does. IKEA breaks easily though. Really anything breaks when a dish hits a ceramic floor. That's the only time I ever broke Corelle. Back in the day when I dropped it on a vinyl floor or wood floor nothing happened. Tile is a whole different story .

cbg

Post Mon, May 14 2018, 5:44 pm
Can someone link IKEA plates so I can see if it’s worth going to the store

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, May 14 2018, 6:01 pm
I own 4 different Corelle patterns, including my Shabbos dishes. Some of the nicest patterns are available only online or at a factory outlet.

Corelle official site: https://www.corelle.com/

little neshamala

Post Mon, May 14 2018, 6:20 pm
Its interesting. I always heard corelle was super durable, but after 8 years, we've lost many dishes and are now looking for a new set...the truth is they only broke (shattered!) when they hit the floor, but then again how else does anything break? Are the other types of dishes prone to breaking even before they hit the floor? How? Trying to understand why I shouldnt just browse all the cool patterns and dishes that I like from random places....how is corelle really better?

thunderstorm

Post Mon, May 14 2018, 6:22 pm
little neshamala wrote:
Its interesting. I always heard corelle was super durable, but after 8 years, we've lost many dishes and are now looking for a new set...the truth is they only broke (shattered!) when they hit the floor, but then again how else does anything break? Are the other types of dishes prone to breaking even before they hit the floor? How? Trying to understand why I shouldnt just browse all the cool patterns and dishes that I like from random places....how is corelle really better?

Other dishes break while just washing them in the sink. If they bang against another dish or something and they chip too. That doesn't happen to Corelle

little neshamala

Post Mon, May 14 2018, 6:24 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
Other dishes break while just washing them in the sink. If they bang against another dish or something and they chip too. That doesn't happen to Corelle

Really, wow, didnt know that. Thank you.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains