Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Restrictions on food because of cost
Previous  1  2  3  4

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 7:39 am
People -- including children -- should eat until they are satisfied, not stuffed. Children need to learn to listen to their own body signals. OP's husband is depriving them of that by dictating when they are full, or when they have had enough. Its setting up a bad relationship with food.

BTW, you can make your own yogurt to bring the cost way down, then let your kids eat to their hearts' content.

maze

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 8:24 am
amother wrote:
Op here. Thanks for the validation. I know my kids will be at risk of eating disorders because of his behaviour. It kills me to watch.
Is it ok to tell a kid 2 slices of pizza is enough you can’t have more?
What about saying 1 pickle is plenty don’t take 2?
What about “save some for your siblings don’t finish the whole thing” and then everyone getting less of that expensive item than they wanted because there wasn’t enough for everyone to have as much as they wanted.

I don’t let my dh say anything when it’s healthy food but non-nutritionally important foods I don’t know if I should stop him or not.

I know he has an unhealthy attitude towards food. I’m just trying to protect my kids. He also has an unhealthy attitude towards money and both are at play here.

It is ok to tell them save some for your siblings, don't finish the whole thing, because that's just being a mench and teaching them to care about the other. I would add something healthier to the meal, especially if you don't have enough pizza for everyone to have more than 2 slices such as salad or soup or something else that they can fill up with. If you bought enough pizza you don't need to limit although too much pizza isn't healthy, but if it's once in a while I'd let it go. As far as extra milk (or in season fruits, or vegetables) being a luxury- I disagree, that is an unhealthy attitude, and kids need calcium and nutrients.

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 9:01 am
Chayalle wrote:
If my 5 ft, 95 lb. teen eats two slices of pizza, then I can see how someone's teen son, who might way 20 to 30 lbs more than she, and be a foot taller, would still be hungry.

I think the point that others have made and I agree with is - you can limit a specific food, but not food in general. For example - let's say I bought a pie for 4 of us (I have 3 DD's, and DH doesn't like pizza.) That means we each get two slices. If they are still hungry, they can eat something else. But I wouldn't tell my teen that she has eaten enough - that is her choice to make. I'm not experiencing her body, her hormones, her growth spurt that she may be going thru, etc....I want her to be able to decide, by herself, whether she has eaten enough or whether she needs to eat more.

So is it okay to say there is 2 slices per person? Sure (though personally, I'd probably buy my husky teen, if I had one, an additional slice). But then there should be certain food alternatives in the home that they can help themselves to if they are still hungry. In my house that's bread or pita with any spread from the fridge, fruit or vegetable, or certain snacks like pretzels or snackers. Sandwich maker/toaster oven stuff. Some people have cereal and milk as a choice (no one eats that in my house.) They can fry an omelette if they clean up after themselves, etc....

Totally agree. Children need to be taught to listen to and trust their bodies signals of hungry & not hungry.

Mommy1:)

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 12:35 pm
Chayalle wrote:

Sorry for being so blunt, but this is important. Policing kids food intake in an unhealthy way can lead to major issues later on, like eating disorders and worse.

this, this, this!

greenfire

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 1:11 pm
there's a happy medium of not forcing kids to eat everything you put on their plate & not letting them drink milk/eat bread because it cost too much ...

teach your children well ... or you'll breed eating issues that are exacerbated by policing their food
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics