Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Change jobs?

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 10:14 pm
I love my current job but it definitely does not pay enough. I am thinking about applying for a new job that sort of combines various experiences I have had. The new position would be significantly more money but in an office environment as opposed to my current position. It would mean a non-Jewish environment (and taking vacation days for yom tov) rather than the Jewish one I am currently in. My dc are getting older so not as many after school responsibilities for me. Any advice?

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 10:16 pm
Why wouldn't you do it?

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 10:47 pm
Because I really love my job, don't have to worry about Shabbat or Yom Tov or kids' vacations.

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 10:49 pm
A few thoughts:

1) Do you have a Rav or Mashpia you'd be comfortable discussing this? It could affect your spirituality somewhat, so it's a fair question to address.

2) How much do you value your Yom Tov, kids' vacation time etc.? Can you quantify it and put a dollar amount on hiring help to make up for you during those times? Does the new job still put you ahead?

3) Are there any chances of a raise with your current job to make it easier to stay? If you told them you were thinking of leaving, might they offer you more?

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 10:50 pm
amother wrote:
Because I really love my job, don't have to worry about Shabbat or Yom Tov or kids' vacations.

Are you worried about having enough money in the bank to eventually retire?

Like perhaps you are being 'underpaid' - but money isn't everything.

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 5:30 pm
Thanks all.
Not underpaid, just in a low paying field. Starting to do the math to see if it works. Just sad to think of leaving something I really love.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics