Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Assistant teacher salary
Previous  1  2

Beingreal

Post Fri, Apr 27 2018, 10:31 am
Can anyone tell me how much an assistant makes in Cleveland?

amother
Natural

Post Fri, Apr 27 2018, 10:34 am
seeker wrote:
No pain, no gain. You want a job that lets you have fun with kids without the grunt work of lead teaching, but you're not happy with the salary? Make a choice.
wow a bit snarky. I was just saying I have been out of it for a while and curious about the pay, especially when the administrator asked me my ideas on salary.

seeker

Post Fri, Apr 27 2018, 11:04 am
OK, I apologize for coming off more negative than necessary. I meant just a reality check but I realize now I delivered it sharply.

amother
Black

Post Fri, Apr 27 2018, 11:06 am
naturalmom5 wrote:
Wow...Its actually less than min wage

40 x 10 x 50 is 20k a year

Min wage in NYC is 13 an hour

How are you figuring?

First of all, teachers are considered to be professionals, meaning that they don't generally receive an hourly wage.

But if they did -- she's working 7-1/2 hours a day for about 180 days a year, or 1350 hours a year. That's over $17 an hour. The federal minimum wage is $7.25.

OP, assistant teacher is generally considered to be an entry level position for someone who just graduated from college, may not have her credentials, and has little or no experience. The pay reflects that. While you will certainly bring more to the job that, its not in the payscale.

amother
Natural

Post Fri, Apr 27 2018, 12:38 pm
seeker wrote:
OK, I apologize for coming off more negative than necessary. I meant just a reality check but I realize now I delivered it sharply.
[quote] all good and I hear you. Very Happy

amother
Jetblack

Post Fri, Apr 27 2018, 1:20 pm
Beingreal wrote:
Can anyone tell me how much an assistant makes in Cleveland?

Detroit was paying 12 an hour as of two years ago.

amother
Puce

Post Fri, Apr 27 2018, 1:47 pm
I work as an assistant teacher at a charter school in NYC and make 50K (before taxes of course).

livinginflatbus

Post Fri, Apr 27 2018, 3:24 pm
[quote="amother"]How are you figuring?

First of all, teachers are considered to be professionals, meaning that they don't generally receive an hourly wage.

But if they did -- she's working 7-1/2 hours a day for about 180 days a year, or 1350 hours a year. That's over $17 an hour. The federal minimum wage is $7.25.

OP, assistant teacher is generally considered to be an entry level position for someone who just graduated from college, may not have her credentials, and has little or no experience. The pay reflects that. While you will certainly bring more to the job that, its not in the payscale.[/quote
Correct . That’s why I asked how is that minimum wage since assistant teachers don’t work summers. 20k is actually really high for that job.

amother
Natural

Post Fri, Apr 27 2018, 3:50 pm
amother wrote:
I work as an assistant teacher at a charter school in NYC and make 50K (before taxes of course).
I wanna work at ur school! Very Happy

lavenderchimes

Post Fri, Apr 27 2018, 5:33 pm
I just started as an teacher's assistant in Brooklyn. Even though I have a whole education and Master's degree, I am starting at the bottom with this, for a variety of reasons. I make $15 an hour. I could never support myself on it. B"H my husband has a "real" job.

amother
Puce

Post Fri, Apr 27 2018, 6:34 pm
amother wrote:
I wanna work at ur school! Very Happy

Success Academy! It's definitely...different. Some people, teachers and students and their families, either really like or really don't. Assistant teachers, we are expected to be just as prepared as the head teacher. I know all of her lessons, she asks me to jump in all the time, and I give extra help to children who need it. So to anyone who says assistant teachers do nothing, I wish! The pay is good. You have to be comfortable working with disadvantaged, minority children, especially if placed somewhere like the Bronx. But the children are extremely well behaved, especially if they're older and have been in the school since kindergarten. They know the rules. This school year, we (meaning myself and the head teacher I work with) have had only 4 discipline-worthy incidents. But, as I said, it's definitely a charter school with a system that you'd either really like or really not like.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics