Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Dandruff= Puberty??

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Apr 29 2018, 12:48 am
I recently started to notice that my DD's (age 8) hair smells oily and has dandruff. I started to wash her hair for her, thinking she wasn't washing it well enough . It helped a little bit but then I noticed lots of dandruff coming off her scalp when I brush her hair.
I'm concerned that means she'll get her period early? I didnt tell her about anything yet, She's so young and an anxious type so I don't want her worrying just yet if she wont get her period for at least another 4 years! I got mine at age 16.....
I was planning on waiting till she was 9 or 10.
What do you say? Does dandruff mean she's starting to mature?

LisaS

Post Sun, Apr 29 2018, 12:05 pm
My son had that at age 6-7 and it wasn't dandruff. It was dry skin. The pediatrician said he wasn't washing his hair well enough after shampoo. After a few months it got better.

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Apr 29 2018, 12:46 pm
In my personal and family experience, puberty had nothing to do with it. Seeing a dermatologist to rule out infection and determine the appropriate treatment was important in my case - over the counter products did not help.

flowerpower

Post Sun, Apr 29 2018, 12:47 pm
My 8 year old also had dandruffs. She is not starting puberty yet! I switched shampoos and it made a difference.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Apr 29 2018, 1:12 pm
Same story with my 8 year old.

Every few weeks I will notice flaking. What I do then is loosen the flakes with a comb, lightly scratching scalp, then slather her head with lotion, followed by conditioner, and then let both of those absorb for about a half hour. After that, I give her a good shampoo and remind her to use her nails and scrub her scalp.

She gets it because she forgets to wash properly. She is young, she'll get there.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics