Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
What would you expect ur 2 year-old to learn this year?

livalittle

Post Sun, Sep 09 2007, 1:27 pm
I'm a teacher for two-year-olds this year - I was asked to take this class even though that age is not my specialty. I really enjoy the children and love teaching them - I was just wondering from parents perspective - what do you expect your two-year old child to learn throughout the year?

I think that they need to learn how to listen, share, follow directions, say please and thank you - that's for the social development. For the learning I'd say shapes, colors, numbers, sequence of #s, ABC, & Aleph Beis. The diff. seasons, transportation, senses, parsha, Yom Tov. I'm not sure whatthey need to accomplish for motor skills - I honestly think 2-yr.olds are still babies and don't have to know how to cut and color in the lines. I am not sure whether I'd put a two-year-old in a classroom structure, but I don't have children so I can't say anything or make that decision. For those who have expectations from their children this age, or more from their teachers - what would you expect to be on the curriculum?

Thanks for your help!

Ruchel

Post Sun, Sep 09 2007, 1:28 pm
2 yrs old learn the alphabet?? woah shock

amother

Post Sun, Sep 09 2007, 1:32 pm
Brachos and the basic concepts/stories behind the yomim tovim. You could do this by acting out the various stories. I know my 2-yr old son really loves doing this and understands on his level through acting out the stories.

mimivan

Post Sun, Sep 09 2007, 1:36 pm
My 2 year old learned aleph beis at home but not at school (late twos and not early twos)...anyway, boys usually know some letters by their upsherin..
I would say with Schneur berachas, numbers, 12 psukim, songs. He had difficulty comprehending stories...things about chagim, vocabulary from picture books

happymom

Post Sun, Sep 09 2007, 4:45 pm
in all honesty,

how to speak nicely,

how to use words when upset,

how tio communicate needs,
how toi get alomng with peers

etc....

I taught 2 year olds and whatever else they learn to me isnt as relevant as behavior and communication skills!(although they should learn this from the parents... but also in school)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics