Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby hates formula

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Apr 29 2018, 5:49 pm
I'm trying to get my 11 month old baby to have one formula bottle a day or two (at the babysitter) because I'm going back to work and do not want to pump at work.
However she does NOT want formula! She refuses it.
I mixed it with breast milk and she drank it, but then she began crying and has refused bottle and breast since that feeding.
How can I get her to eat formula? Is this normal? How long will it last?

pesek zman

Post Sun, Apr 29 2018, 5:52 pm
Talk to the ped. Might be time to start her on whole milk

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Apr 29 2018, 5:57 pm
pesek zman wrote:
Talk to the ped. Might be time to start her on whole milk

Even after just one try?

pesek zman

Post Sun, Apr 29 2018, 6:59 pm
If she never tried formula till 11 months I'm not surprised she doesn't like it. It's disgusting, especially after the yumminess of breastmilk. Whole milk, though it doesn't taste like breastmilk, is stil really good

Woman of Valor

Post Sun, Apr 29 2018, 7:11 pm
I would substitute very gradually, like 1 ounce at a time

987gold

Post Sun, Apr 29 2018, 7:20 pm
Make sure it's warm whatever you give

tf

Post Sun, Apr 29 2018, 7:29 pm
Who says she still needs formula? How about regular healthy food ground, mashed. 11 months is not too young. Would she have had formula until now then that would be better, but its not working, so next comes solids. I had a 2 month old who refused formula and for whatever reason, I couldn't nurse,so I gave solids. It worked well BH. I had no choice but he was 2 months. 11 months is a different story.

pesek zman

Post Sun, Apr 29 2018, 7:39 pm
tf wrote:
Who says she still needs formula? How about regular healthy food ground, mashed. 11 months is not too young. Would she have had formula until now then that would be better, but its not working, so next comes solids. I had a 2 month old who refused formula and for whatever reason, I couldn't nurse,so I gave solids. It worked well BH. I had no choice but he was 2 months. 11 months is a different story.

Am I understanding that you gave your 2 month old solids instead of breastmilk?

dovebird

Post Sun, Apr 29 2018, 9:24 pm
Maybe try a different brand. Worked for my baby! But if s/he is already 11 months I second what pz said and ask pediatrician about whole milk. Good luck!
Ps I have some extra similac advance pro if you want to try it before you go out to buy. Live in Flatbush. Pm me if you’re interested 🙂

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Apr 29 2018, 11:20 pm
Ok. The mystery heightens.
Since (and including) that feed where she took two ounces formula mixed with two ounces breast milk, she's been acting as though her mouth/tongue bothers her. During that feed she kept coming off the bottle nipple- every swallow- which she never does with a breast milk bottle. Then she refused the pacifier, also unusual.
She eventually went to sleep quietly (after I sat her up in the crib with some toys because she cried when I lay her down- highly unusual, she usually sleeps right away- this has never before happened!!) and just woke up. I nursed her but for the first two minutes, she was doing that odd mouth movement, as though she wasn't sure how to feed/or as though something was bothering her in her mouth. She wasn't crying or kvetching and didn't seem in pain, but was definitely acting odd.
She fell asleep and took a pacifier in her sleep (when I tried when she was awake, again she refused). What is going on???
I will call my ped, but she's starting at a new babysitter tomorrow and I'm going back to work, so this is hard timing.
Could it be allergies to milk?

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Apr 29 2018, 11:32 pm
Definitely could be an allergy. Please do not give it to her again before she is tested for milk allergy. Every exposure can cause an ever-worsening reaction. Chas v'shalom... Just don't try it again yet.

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Apr 29 2018, 11:37 pm
amother wrote:
I'm trying to get my 11 month old baby to have one formula bottle a day or two (at the babysitter) because I'm going back to work and do not want to pump at work.
However she does NOT want formula! She refuses it.
I mixed it with breast milk and she drank it, but then she began crying and has refused bottle and breast since that feeding.
How can I get her to eat formula? Is this normal? How long will it last?

If she refused even breast after the formula, then I would definitely associate the experience with some sort of reaction that involved bodily changes, such as stomach aches or tissue swelling. Please do get her tested.

amother
Red

Post Sun, Apr 29 2018, 11:43 pm
amother wrote:
Ok. The mystery heightens.
Since (and including) that feed where she took two ounces formula mixed with two ounces breast milk, she's been acting as though her mouth/tongue bothers her. During that feed she kept coming off the bottle nipple- every swallow- which she never does with a breast milk bottle. Then she refused the pacifier, also unusual.
She eventually went to sleep quietly (after I sat her up in the crib with some toys because she cried when I lay her down- highly unusual, she usually sleeps right away- this has never before happened!!) and just woke up. I nursed her but for the first two minutes, she was doing that odd mouth movement, as though she wasn't sure how to feed/or as though something was bothering her in her mouth. She wasn't crying or kvetching and didn't seem in pain, but was definitely acting odd.
She fell asleep and took a pacifier in her sleep (when I tried when she was awake, again she refused). What is going on???
I will call my ped, but she's starting at a new babysitter tomorrow and I'm going back to work, so this is hard timing.
Could it be allergies to milk?

She is 11 months old. Has not had cheese yet?

talk to you doctor - but she'll be fine for a day without either formula or whole milk, so long as she drinks water... you are still going to breast feed her in the morning, and at night.

introducing formula at 11 months is unusual.

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 3:46 am
My doctor told me not to introduce my baby to milk until 12 months and even then he was very sensitive to the milk. All my children were sensitive to milk at 12 months. B'h no allergies. When baby refused formula I mixed diluted rice cereal in a bottle. It could be a choking hazard so only an older baby under adult supervision. A friend gave her baby rice dream at that age. My Dr told me it's not necessary.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics