Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Pros and Cons Staying In hotel vs renting apt. in Israel

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Apr 29 2018, 7:57 am
For those that go to Israel for Sukkos what do you find as the pros and cons of renting an apartment vs staying in a hotel and not worrying about warming up food etc.
We are debating what to do. We don’t have small kids.

pesek zman

Post Sun, Apr 29 2018, 8:02 am
Honesty I don't think there's no comparing. If you can afford it, hotel is way to go. Being an apartment (unless you eat out all the meals) is like being at home just in a different place (albeit Israel) Still not something I'd consider.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Apr 29 2018, 8:05 am
Airbnb. If you look well you can find affordable... I don't even consider hotels and rentals.

amother
White

Post Sun, Apr 29 2018, 8:07 am
There have been a few stories of apartment owners coming in while guests are there, robbing and more.

Kumphort

Post Sun, Apr 29 2018, 8:13 am
How many people are you going with? Is having multiple bedrooms sitting area eating area a plus for you? I haven’t done if for a YT but in general those are the reasons we like doing an Airbnb type of thing
If anything ask the person arranging the apt rental about having a cleaning person come in to make the vacation more vacationy

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Apr 29 2018, 8:23 am
Ive done both, and they both have their pros and cons. Being in a hotel you are more restricted. You have to eat what they tell you to eat, when they tell you to eat. In an apartment you can eat when you want. Do you want to have to be dressed and ready to face the world to get a coffee or to light shabbat candles? Do you want to stand at a buffet all the time and choose from whats there? The best of both worlds, is renting an apartment and eating in the hotels or restaurant when you want, and eating in your apartment other times. The restaurants get crowded CM and having your own apartment can be nice. There are lots of services that get everything that you need if you don't want to go shopping and there are lots of takeout places that are convenient and have good food.

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Apr 29 2018, 10:52 am
Thank you for all the replies. I would appreciate more feedback from people that actually did it for Sukkos.
Its a savings of a few thousand dollars to rent an apartment and debating if the money spent in the hotel is really worth it.
Hotel only is including breakfast and yom tov meals.
It does not include Chol Hamoed or second day yom tov meals.

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Apr 29 2018, 6:01 pm
We did sukkos, rented 3br in rehovot. Family in israel stocked the fridge and helped order the yt meals, some of which we cooked in the oven in alum pans. Homeowner arranged for sukka, table and chairs. Dh wanted hotel bc more vacation like, and no food prep but I loved quiet with family, our own sukka. I had a washer dryer, squeezed families in for yt meals, and who cares about free bkfst, we had yogurt and fruit, packed non mezones lunches, did dinner out in the sukkah at restaurants. Would do it again but cost is very high.

Raisin

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 3:28 am
amother wrote:
Thank you for all the replies. I would appreciate more feedback from people that actually did it for Sukkos.
Its a savings of a few thousand dollars to rent an apartment and debating if the money spent in the hotel is really worth it.
Hotel only is including breakfast and yom tov meals.
It does not include Chol Hamoed or second day yom tov meals.

Food is also going to cost a substantial amount, assuming you get take out. And you have to set up and clear up etc. Maybe you can go to a hotel or restaurant for some of the yom tov meals?

Hotel breakfasts in Israel are huge. You may not need much of a lunch after one of them.

How will you eat yom tov meals second day if you stay in a hotel?

Maybe you can compromise on a few days in hotel the rest in apartment?

flmommy

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 4:06 am
Also consider parking. Se did air BNB and were very happy and saved lots of $ but street parking was a pain.

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 4:25 am
Hotel is easier, but you are in a more cramped space. And you will be mostly with tourists.
Renting an apartment you get to see more what real life is like. You don't have cleaning people coming in every day. You need to set your own table.
Part of it depends on what type of apartment you rent, if it's a good kitchen with pots and pans left for you to use or if you need to buy all your kitchen utensils.
Also, if you are going for only 1 week of Sukkot or for a week or 2 before or after.
Renting an apartment is significantly cheaper but more of a hassle.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics