Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Throwing darts at a map

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 9:56 am
We would like to leave NY but not sure where to go.
Here are the criteria we're looking at:
up to 50K towards a down payment for 2500 sqft house minimum. Probably a 200-300k house
Decent/established Jewish community--we have kids who need a school
Within a day's drive of NY
Good Senior Citizen resources (my mother would be coming)
Inexpensive (Voucher's great) tuiton
Reasonable speech therapy provision for one of my kids.

Our jobs exist but are tricky to find--for anonymity sake, I'm not disclosing, we'll do our own legwork on that regard.

pesek zman

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 10:04 am
Cleveland (long day's drive, but doable) and very cheap cost of living

simcha2

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 10:05 am
Pittsburgh comes to mind.

elisheva25

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 10:07 am
Suburbs of Philly ?

doctorima

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 10:09 am
Baltimore has a great Jewish infrastructure, relatively short drive, and affordable real estate. Don't know about senior services, but I would imagine they do. No vouchers though. Vouchers would point to Ohio - maybe Cincinnati could work?

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 10:27 am
South Bend? 11-12 hour drive, very cheap housing and tuition. Not sure about the rest.

mha3484

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 10:31 am
Southbend and Cinci would require you to be okay with co-ed schooling. SB is mixed until 5th grade and Cinci until 3rd. If that is a concern for you then I would look at Cleveland or even detroit.

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 11:43 am
Scranton. Very inexpensive, less than 3 hour drive of NYC, beautiful region. Nice, warm, down to earth community.

We literally did the 'throwing darts at a map' thing a few years ago and northeast PA could not have been more perfect for us.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 12:02 pm
amother wrote:
South Bend? 11-12 hour drive, very cheap housing and tuition. Not sure about the rest.

We are actually considering South Bend, but finding that the housing isn't so conducive to what we are looking to do with my mother--at least what's currently available.

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 12:23 pm
Detroit just lost the ability to have any funding for private schools even for fire drills and other state mandated things. It was in the news today. It was a major coup for the public school lobby. If you want vouchers, you won’t find them here- although everything else matches your criteria. I believe if you expect vouchers out of NY, you need Ohio or Wisconsin. So Cleveland or Milwaukee maybe.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 10:45 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Southbend and Cinci would require you to be okay with co-ed schooling. SB is mixed until 5th grade and Cinci until 3rd. If that is a concern for you then I would look at Cleveland or even detroit.

No, Cincinnati has a separate second grade.

What is in flux: senior living -- not sure what is required and if the community does or does not have it.

Houses and tuition and driveable, yes.
Speech therapy depends on needs but we have speech therapy available a little bit in the school or outside of school; we have a great hospital (Childrens) that has all of that. But it's not NY so services aren't handed on a silver platter.

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 10:49 pm
HY-isn't it dependent on the how big the "year" is when they separate? The 2nd grade is a large grade so it was separated since Kindergarten but wasn't the second grade co-ed last year?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 11:17 pm
No, going forward it's supposed to be separate. Next year's grade is coed this year in first and is separate next year, despite not necessarily growing in numbers.

amother
Navy

Post Tue, May 01 2018, 7:30 am
ok. HY's more in the know then I am. learned something new Wink

Kiwi13

Post Tue, May 01 2018, 7:55 am
Cleveland has AMAZING opportunities for seniors. Look into Menorah Park, they have a lot to offer even beyond their actual nursing home. (All levels of assisted living, day programs, etc.)

School vouchers are for Cleveland Heights/University Heights only (not Beachwood). Affordable housing, but it has become a competitive market. Job market is tight, so you’d need a plan before you go. (Don’t expect to find a job right away if you just show up with no plan).

Good luck!

shanie5

Post Tue, May 01 2018, 8:52 pm
amother wrote:
Scranton. Very inexpensive, less than 3 hour drive of NYC, beautiful region. Nice, warm, down to earth community.

And fits all of your requirements too. Depending on what you call inexpensive tuition of course!

TeachersNotebook

Post Tue, May 01 2018, 9:35 pm
Northeast Philadelphia should definitely be on your shortlist. (Not to be confused with Scranton another poster mentioned. That's a different city I don't know much about.) NE Philly is 2 hours from NYC. Houses are in your price range, and property tax is lower than many places in NY and NJ as well. The government provides tuition vouchers, and the community is very unpretentious - making this a very affordable community. The community is old and established, but has recently experienced a growth spurt and a continuing influx of young families. Multiple schooling options, very warm and welcoming people, multiple shuls, a wide variety of hashkafos - but everyone is still so friendly Very Happy

I'm don't have details about the specific resources you mentioned, but I know a few people who would. Please feel free to PM me if you want me to find out, or if you have any more questions Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating