Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Spinoff-what's reasonable when it comes to considering other

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 1:42 pm
Everyone has different expectations when it comes to being considerate of others. What kinds of specific things do you expect from others you are living nearby? What kinds of things do you think are rude and what kinds of things are normal, to expect from others who live nearby? What have you done that you considered normal and others considered rude and did you ever change your mind about what you thought was normal or rude?

southernbubby

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 2:48 pm
There is a house on our street that has been vacant and sometimes unkempt for many years because the man who lived there passed away years ago and his son will not sell it. I am sure that by now, the inside is uninhabitable because there was a flood here 4 years ago and I have never seen anyone open the door or enter the house. The city made the owner fix the roof and clear away the overgrown shrubs but the door is in need of paint and the gutters are in bad shape. It is gloomy looking and I am not sure that it won't affect the value of nearby homes. The neighbors of that house, who I am friendly with, have complained to the city many times but as long as the owner pays the taxes, he can do as he pleases.

Is he obligated to care that the house is upsetting to others? Maybe not, but I wish that he would care.

Most people are ok with other people's political signs but they need to come down after the election. I think that holiday decorations should come down soon after the holiday out of consideration for others.

As far as noise, luckily nobody seems to be guilty of too much noise around here.

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 2:57 pm
sadly only the rude things come to mind.

dear neighbor,

please move the bikes from the steps where I need to pass to get to my door. the path is completely blocked off by your 10 bikes. every. single. day.

please pickup your kids' left over sandwich that she so sweetly left on the ground. candy, ices and snack bag wrappers would be nice too.

please teach your kid not to ride their bike so close to my car becuz I have several long scratches along the entire length of my car.

I can write for an hour....

Mommyg8

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 3:40 pm
I think every neighborhood has their own unwritten rules. So if the norm in your neighborhood is X, Y, or Z, it doesn't really matter what a random poster on imamother thinks...

"When in Rome, do as the Romans" is always good advice, and if you want to be the only one who decides that the whole entire neighborhood has bad manners - go ahead, but you're not endearing yourself to your neighbors that way...

momof2+?

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 6:15 pm
I politely disagree mommyg8.
If all the kids leave their bikes and riding toys all over the sidewalk, preventing people from walking by, doesn't make it right. Some parents don't bother training their kids to cleanup after themselves, and other kids see bad examples and follow them. It's still inconsiderate.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette