Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Pain meds for Tonsillectomy

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Apr 29 2018, 10:32 pm
My toddler had her tonsils out a few days ago. She is still on round the clock pain meds (prescription and Tylenol) and I'm wondering how much longer this will really last. How did you know when to stop giving the prescription medication? She can't go back to school until she isn't taking them anymore. During the day I can stretch the medication longer than every four hrs, but at night it seems her pain tolerance is lower.

zoom

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 4:33 pm
my son had the same procedure done a while ago. I would keep giving the meds. the pain can also build up if you aren't giving anything. give it another few days and if shes still in a lot of pain maybe call the dr.

zoom

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 4:34 pm
I was also told he couldn't go back to school for 2 weeks...though he was really fine after the first week...

ra_mom

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 4:40 pm
It can take time.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 4:41 pm
I can keep giving the Tylenol but phase out the oxycodon. But I’m afraid to do it if she’s not ready. After how many days did you stop giving prescription medicine? Or did you only give at night?

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 5:18 pm
My ENT wouldn’t prescribe any prescription meds for my toddler because she was under 3. She also had obstructive sleep apnea, which apparently predisposed her to respiratory issues. She had only Tylenol from day 1 and we did fine as long as we have it around the clock exactly on time. I set alarm clocks. Not kidding.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 6:31 pm
amother wrote:
I can keep giving the Tylenol but phase out the oxycodon. But I’m afraid to do it if she’s not ready. After how many days did you stop giving prescription medicine? Or did you only give at night?

We didn't use any prescription meds. We switched off between Tylenol and Motrin every 2 hours on the clock, then every 3 hours, and eased off according to how she was feeling. She was home for 2 weeks (she was older, 9, and had a difficult recovery).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics