Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Schools have owners?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 8:23 pm
amother wrote:
According the audited financial statements, the school is a non-for-profit, which has 501(c)(3) status. R. Klein does not own the school according to those records.

As another point of information- both non-for-profits and for-profits require a board of directors.

Where do you have access to the school's audited financial statements? Only public companies are required to release those. Even if a school is required to file a 990 (many are not), which is released to the public, you wouldn't see the audited financials per se.

Anyway, OP, a school, like any non profit, would have to have a board of directors. That doesn't mean there's accountability and transparency, because the board could (and often is) stacked with buddies of the executive director (or principal) and give him raises and all the power he wants. Unfortunately, there are many other frum nonprofits where the executive makes obscene compensation (I am talking almost a million dollars - I have seen the 990s, as they are publicly disclosed) and it must be due to having a friendly buddy/buddy board. So if your point is wondering how shenangigans like this could happen if there's a board, be aware that a board does not necessarily prevent it anyway.

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 8:27 pm
amother wrote:
Where do you have access to the school's audited financial statements? Only public companies are required to release those. Even if a school is required to file a 990 (many are not), which is released to the public, you wouldn't see the audited financials per se.

Anyway, OP, a school, like any non profit, would have to have a board of directors. That doesn't mean there's accountability and transparency, because the board could (and often is) stacked with buddies of the executive director (or principal) and give him raises and all the power he wants. Unfortunately, there are many other frum nonprofits where the executive makes obscene compensation (I am talking almost a million dollars - I have seen the 990s, as they are publicly disclosed) and it must be due to having a friendly buddy/buddy board. So if your point is wondering how shenangigans like this could happen if there's a board, be aware that a board does not necessarily prevent it anyway.

http://www.govwiki.info/pdfs/N.....6.pdf

there you go.

watergirl

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 8:31 pm
amother wrote:

I didn have a “point”. I was literally wondering if/how one person can literally own a school. Never heard of that before. No point and no agenda.

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 8:36 pm
amother wrote:
http://www.govwiki.info/pdfs/Non-Profit/NY%20Congregation%20Machne%20Chaim%20Inc%202016.pdf

there you go.

Thank you! Now I'm going to see if there's a 990. Much more informative. Get to see executive compensation Twisted Evil

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 8:38 pm
Nope. Guidestar says they are recognized as a church, thus no 990 needed. Which is what I assumed. Oh well.

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 8:38 pm
amother wrote:
Thank you! Now I'm going to see if there's a 990. Much more informative. Get to see executive compensation Twisted Evil

there isn't. Exec compensation isn't what people are fussed about here.

The story (if I had to guess) is the more than 1M coming in from gov't for food. And an employee who apparently 'knew too much'... like, if I had to guess.. the money wasn't all going towards food purchases.

more recent ones too http://www.govwiki.info/pdfs/N.....7.pdf

interesting to me that the school has a loan receivable of 1.4M dollars.

Chayalle

Post Tue, May 01 2018, 9:51 am
ra_mom wrote:
I'm quite sure. The community has no say in how the school runs and no say on who sits on the board either.

They definitely are accommodating, a true Bais Yaakov with a nice mix of girls. But they don't have to accept just anyone who lives in the community.

A friend of mine told me her MIL taught in BYBP for many years. She told me of a situation where a woman came to register her daughter, who was the product of an affair with a non-Jewish man. The school asked their Rabbinic board, and were told that since the child was Jewish; and they are the community school; and at age 6 the child was not negatively impacting anyone else - yes, they must accept her.

That's pretty accommodating, and while the community has no say, the Rabbinic advisers do.

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 01 2018, 10:58 am
Chayalle wrote:
A friend of mine told me her MIL taught in BYBP for many years. She told me of a situation where a woman came to register her daughter, who was the product of an affair with a non-Jewish man. The school asked their Rabbinic board, and were told that since the child was Jewish; and they are the community school; and at age 6 the child was not negatively impacting anyone else - yes, they must accept her.

That's pretty accommodating, and while the community has no say, the Rabbinic advisers do.

Of course the rabbinic advisors have a say. And if a child really has nowhere to go they'll put some parameters in place and try to take the child. But it's not community owned or community run. The community doesn't get to choose the rabbinic advisors. The school prides itself as being there for the community. And they are. They've even tried to change more to the right as they saw the community in Brooklyn change. But there's a distinction between a community owned or a community run school and a school that prides itself on being there for all yidden and the community.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, May 01 2018, 11:57 am
amother wrote:

They have to provide financials if you ask. On the 990 the organization writes how they make it available. I don't know for sure if this applies to non-profits who don't file a 990.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics