Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
S/O What is the point of the like button?

chicco

Post Fri, May 04 2018, 5:03 pm
The thread about liking posts of certain posters just because they belong to them got me thinking- how does the like button help anyone? Especially as they are anonymous and possibly given arbitrarily. If someone agrees or disagrees they can quote and/or respond in the thread. What is the need to have a random scorecard of likes associated with a post? And then you gotta wonder about hugs...

SixOfWands

Post Fri, May 04 2018, 5:06 pm
chicco wrote:
The thread about liking posts of certain posters just because they belong to them got me thinking- how does the like button help anyone? Especially as they are anonymous and possibly given arbitrarily. If someone agrees or disagrees they can quote and/or respond in the thread. What is the need to have a random scorecard of likes associated with a post? And then you gotta wonder about hugs...

Without the like button, for every substantive post, you'd have to wade through 37 "I agrees."

ra_mom

Post Fri, May 04 2018, 5:08 pm
I honestly don't think people like based on the poster. They may pay more attention to a post from a poster they recognize and skim over someone else's. So the one they paid attention to may get a like if they agreed with the content.

amother
Taupe

Post Fri, May 04 2018, 6:07 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Without the like button, for every substantive post, you'd have to wade through 37 "I agrees."

I concur. (Didn’t say “I agree”! 😂)

thunderstorm

Post Fri, May 04 2018, 6:51 pm
Speaking of "likes", what would happen if we add a "disagree" button. I find people get hugged when someone disagrees with them or doesn't like what the person wrote. Would that cause too many hurt feelings? The hug buttons is abused and not used for the right purpose and it tends to bother me. Not so sure why I care.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics