Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
Is there an easy way (shortcut) to make cheese blintzes?

allthingsblue

Post Sat, May 05 2018, 9:43 pm
I don't want to make the crepes...
Is there a shortcut for em?

ra_mom

Post Sat, May 05 2018, 9:45 pm
You can buy crepes (expensive).
Or make a blintz loaf (no crepes) and serve slices with strawberries or other garnishes.
Or make mini blintz muffins.

allthingsblue

Post Sat, May 05 2018, 9:46 pm
ra_mom wrote:
You can buy crepes (expensive).
Or make a blintz loaf (no crepes) and serve slices with strawberries or other garnishes.

Blintz loaf sounds yummy! Can you post a recipe?
Is it sweet or savory?

Amarante

Post Sat, May 05 2018, 9:54 pm
Notes are the cookbook author's, Glorida Kaufer Greene, and not mine.

Quick-and-easy Cheese Blintz Casserole
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By: The New Jewish Holiday Cookbook by Gloria Kaufer Greene

Summary:

Though cheese blintzes rate as an all-time favorite in my family, I don't always have the time to prepare them in the usual fashion. Therefore, I created the following casserole, which has a fantastic flavor very similar to blintzes (some say it's even better); yet it takes only a few minutes to prepare. In fact, I make it often throughout the year.

It is quite different from the popular cheese blintz casseroles made with frozen commercial blintzes. For my version, a layer of cheese filling is baked between two light layers of a special blintz-type batter. The casserole is then cut into squares for serving, making it a perfect choice for a dairy buffet and great for Shavuot.

Since the first edition of this book was published, this layered blintz casserole has proven to be one of its most popular recipes. The dish is served at the famous Moosewood Restaurant in Ithaca, New York, where it has become a favorite brunch offering under the name "Easy Cheese Blintz Puff." And the recipe has appeared in a number of books and magazines. Like some of the other "creative" recipes in this book, this one appears to be on its way to becoming a classic of "new" Jewish cooking.

Notes: The types of cheese in the filling were determined after much experimentation with various mixtures. It is the best combination to produce the desired results of separate layers.

The top of this casserole is rather plain. If desired, it may be sprinkled lightly with cinnamon or cinnamon-sugar before the casserole is returned to the oven for the final baking.

Ingredients:

Batter:

4 large eggs (no substitutes)
1 1/4 cups milk
2 tablespoons sour cream
1/4 cup butter, melted (for best flavor, no substitutes)
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 to 2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder

Filling (see notes):

2 (7 1/2- to 8-ounce) packages curd-style farmer cheese
1 (15- to 16-ounce) container ricotta cheese, any type
2 large eggs or 1/2 cup egg substitute
2 to 3 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice

To serve:
sour cream
plain or vanilla yogurt
applesauce
sliced fresh strawberries or other fruit

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9 by 13-inch baking dish or coat it with nonstick cooking spray.

In a blender or a food processor (fitted with a steel blade), combine all batter ingredients. Process until very smooth, scraping down the sides of the container once or twice. Measure out 1 1/2 cups of the batter, and pour it into the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees forabout 10 minutes, or until it is set.

Meanwhile, combine all the filling ingredients in a large bowl, and mix them well. When the bottom layer has set, remove it from the oven and spread the filling over it, smoothing the top. Give the remaining batter a brief stir to resuspend the ingredients; then very slowly pour it over the cheese filling so the filling is completely covered. Carefully return the casserole to the 350 degree oven, and bake an additional 35 to 40 minutes, or until the top is puffed and set.

Let the casserole rest for about 10 minutes before cutting it into squares. Serve with your choice of accompaniments.

Sunny Days

Post Sat, May 05 2018, 11:24 pm
I have wanted to try it- but haven't done it yet.
When we make the pesach lukshen we do it over a griddle and get a long crepe that we cut.
I have a new gridle ($5 from Kohls black friday) so planning to make that dairy and cutting down on the time frying the blintzes.

HeartyAppetite

Post Sun, May 06 2018, 1:30 am
Chopsies Ames ready made crepes. It’s in the freezer section.

allthingsblue

Post Sun, May 06 2018, 8:25 am
HeartyAppetite wrote:
Chopsies Ames ready made crepes. It’s in the freezer section.

Thanks for the recipe amarante!

I'll check out the premade crepes . If it isn't crazy expensive maybe I'll buy them.

CatLady

Post Sun, May 06 2018, 10:14 am
My mom used egg roll wrappers instead of bletlach (a.k.a. crepes)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals